Want to learn Oxy/acetylene welding

Biased, because this is what I learned on. The older Minnesota built Smith's stuff was top notch premium quality equipment. I'm not knocking Victor stuff at all (they've made plenty, so it must work well), but AW series, including AC309 cutting heads are so light and balanced in the hand. It's like a "sports torch" if such a thing existed. Miller is supporting most of the traditional Smith's lines, including a full selection of tips, but the "Airline" AW series torch bodies haven't been listed recently. Used prices are creeping up, so maybe they'll make a batch one of these days. I'm glad to see that Miller has saved the Smith's brand, I just hope they strive to preserve it's reputation.

Yes, that Airline series was the 1st torch I bought in '68. It did everything I wanted to do. I now have a 2nd one and will buy any others I might find at swap meets and flea markets. For my use the cutting head is often used like a small rosebud, just don't press the oxygen lever. The cutting tips are still available but seldom need replacement. I also have the medium duty size Smith torch set, but I don't find any advantages to its larger size. The regulators are the same for both torches. The hose fittings on the back end of the Airline torch are smaller than the hose fittings on the Medium size. So I keep one set of regulators and hoses attached to the Medium torch, and a different pair of regulators and hoses attached to the airline. Changing regulators at the tanks is my switch over procedure.

Paul in MN

Ok, so I've got regulators on the way. I think the next choice is eye protection. I wear glasses full time so i don't think glasses or goggles would be a good option. What recommendations do you guys have for a face shield or helmet? Once i get the regulators in ill go get the bottles and hose from the local supply house.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Ok, so I've got regulators on the way. I think the next choice is eye protection. I wear glasses full time so i don't think glasses or goggles would be a good option. What recommendations do you guys have for a face shield or helmet? Once i get the regulators in ill go get the bottles and hose from the local supply house.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
The recommended tinted shade for oxy/acety is #4-#5. You can get goggles that go over your glassses and if you choose, you could get prescription lenses made with the correct tint. Check with your LWS to see what they carry for eye protection. I think they have full faceshields that are tinted but I've never used them. You can get radiation burns to your eyes with oxy/acety welding the same as you can with any of the other electric welding process, but it doesn't happen as quickly so this is important.

Between my 2 son's shops and my shop, we have 5 Smith sets. The oldest, I bought new in 1968. I have had 1 regulator rebuilt once, none of the others have needed anything. There have been a few O rings needed for the oldest tips, but the LWS had them available for a few $. Newer Smith torches are stamped with "lifetime warrantee", and according to the LWS, Smith does stand behind that warrantee. I think Smith was recently bought by Miller, but they continued the Smith product line. I have nothing against Victor, but I just liked the "feel" of the Smith torches better. The only problems we have had are when some small spider makes a mud nest in the center hole of the cutting torch. I need to be more careful to store them in an insect proof box. We have 3 farm shops, so all of our equipment is stored in barn shops. In all 3 shops, we are using LP and Oxygen as being much cheaper for the cutting and bending and heating we do on equipment maintenance. If you are replacing welding hose, prefer the shorter 25 ft length, as you do not waste as much gas on start up and shut down. Most twin hose is now rated for LP and acetylene gasses, check that when you buy hose.

Once you get used to having and using the oxy/gas setup, you probably will never want to part with it.

Paul in MN

Smith is Made in USA. The last Victor set I owned was made in Mexico

Back