Want To Learn Cnc Before I Get Mill

Ed of all trades

Registered
Registered
I am inn the process of adding on to my blacksmith shop and am adding a machine room. I am planning to buy a LMS high torque mill and converting it to cnc. I have several hours most mornings to spend on the computer. I know I will need to learn a cad program and I have the time now so if anyone has any ideas on a good program for a gray beard to learn ( my computer still needs training wheels ) or if I need to learn something else first? Any advise will be a help.
Thanks Ed

I am inn the process of adding on to my blacksmith shop and am adding a machine room. I am planning to buy a LMS high torque mill and converting it to cnc. I have several hours most mornings to spend on the computer. I know I will need to learn a cad program and I have the time now so if anyone has any ideas on a good program for a gray beard to learn ( my computer still needs training wheels ) or if I need to learn something else first? Any advise will be a help.
Thanks Ed

eMachineShop has a free downloadable CAD program. It's easy to learn and meets my simple requirements. There are many other Cad programs out there but I have no first hand experience with them. Several have demo versions so you can get a feel for their capabilities.

Tom S

Depends on what you plan to do with the CNC mill. There are free to lower cost CAD programs out there, CAM on the other hand which creates the tool paths...maybe there are some inexpensive options for basic 2D CAM I don't know. I have about $7,000 invested in my CAD/CAM software. My brother has over $40,000 invested in his CAD/CAM software but you are talking Gibs and Solid Works.

I still like CamBam for CAM software, $149. It does allow drawing, but it is a bit clunky to use for CAD work. Works with most any CAD program that will export a DXF file.

I just want to get started with it and see how it goes. It might turn into something more than a hobby in the future but for now I just want to know if I can learn the software. Looking for an easy, cheep, great cad program, but so is everyone. Emachineshop sounds like a maby.
Thanks for the help.
Ed

I just want to get started with it and see how it goes. It might turn into something more than a hobby in the future but for now I just want to know if I can learn the software. Looking for an easy, cheep, great cad program, but so is everyone. Emachineshop sounds like a maby.
Thanks for the help.
Ed

For CAM I use D2NC. Cost is $79. Doesn't have the bells and whistles like other programs but I'm just learning CNC and it serves my needs. I have a total of $230 invested in CAM and Mach 3. CAD is free.

I see where you've commented to the thread CNC from sketch to part the way I do it by jumps4. He uses the same software and his videos are very good.

Tom S

My Fav is the use of Dassaults free CAD tool. Tons of videos, user groups and great docs w/ How To's.
https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/

For CAM I like the DolphinCAM tools. ( called partmaster). There are a lot of discussions on CAM tools and so many folks like something different. CNCookbook site has several surveys on CAM tools. Check them out. wonderful site to get your feet wet in CNC too.

Thanks for the input. I am interested in not spending a lot and still have àn easy cad program that will do the job. I am not a great computer guy and will need to learn a lot. I surf the net and get email ect so I will be stretched. Thanks again
Ed

Thanks for your help with this. I got emachineshop yesterday and I like it so far. I have drawn a few things and it was mostly easy once I figured out how to do each thing. Will take a while to learn enough to say I know what I am doing but it will be good along the way.
Thanks again
Ed

I still like CamBam for CAM software, $149. It does allow drawing, but it is a bit clunky to use for CAD work. Works with most any CAD program that will export a DXF file.

Yes I have used CamBam and MeshCam, Both CamBam and MeshCam allow you to download and try it out. CamBam also has an option to export generated g-code.

A nice thing about CamBam is you can take a 2D image and extrude it to 3D and then generate or export the files.

See below image:

My wife is Chinese and her father does calligraphy, I took one of his drawings and imported it into CamBam, extruded it, shaped it and then routed it on my CNC router.

Thanks

Joecnc.jpg

Last edited:
Back