Walking Beam Sidewheel Steamer

that looks like it would be fun to run around in
Steve

What a great and interesting project, it must be real rewarding to run it.

Hi Fred,
Your Youtube video was one of few that hooked me on steam engines.
Although I've found tons of info on the engines, very little I've found is available on the boilers.
Did you build yours or purchase it ?

I can only dream of making something this beautiful.

While living in Cincinnati, I had occasion to use the barges that took cars from one side of the Ohio to the other. There were two barges but one in particular had a side wheeler on it that was on a pivot. When it came in to unload the cars it did not have to turn around to go to the other side. The wheel was on a pivot and they would just swing it around 180 and it would run back across the river. I used it several times as I always like to ride the ferry across the Ohio. If I remember right it was just down the hill from the Cincinnati air port right across the interstate down a winding road. Many times I would be coming down the hill and see the ferry about full and start honking the horn to let them know I was coming and they would wait. At rush hour times they had two ferries to handle the traffic but would only use one during the rest of the day. They didn't run at night. Been 15 years but may still be there.

I can't imagine how much fun it would be to run that on the water.

A job very well done.

Tom

Back