vnmg inserts use ????

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
What is the best use of these inserts I'm exploring different insert types and there best uses would these be effective on a g0602 10x22 it a 1/2 holder what would be there best use ???? Thanks for any explanation :)

They are for light cuts and finishing cuts, .005 to .030" depth of cut with under .010" feed rate. I have a few that I use just for finish cuts and nothing else.
Ken

I agree with Ken & Bob. But keep in mind it's also negative geometry, you may be ok with your lathe but often smaller lathes don't do well with negative geometry. I doubt you would find a holder for VNMG insert in 1/2".

VCMT is the same shape but in positive. That would better suited for hobby lathes. But it only has 2 cutting edges rather than 4 with the VNMG.

35° diamond is too pointy for me, I like 55° (DCMT) better but that's just me.

Excellent tool for it's intended purpose.
As mentioned one may turn very close to a center and also do some limited back cutting, as a general purpose roughing tool they are not ideal, more of a finishing tool.

They will easily produce small undercuts as the work may require.

i love VNMG on delrin and aluminum
i use them for very light roughing and finish work

Try VNGG or VNMP, you love them even more on those materials, especially the polished aluminum specific inserts. VNGG have sharper ground edges & VNMP is a higher positive profile.

The only negative insert holders I use are CNMG. I use CNGG inserts & I love them!

A near 2 week long job on a machine not intended for this sort of work, 1" 360 brass hex bar, drill, turn and face, thread 15/16"-27 X 9/16" length, bore .781" thru and part off .75" long.

1500 parts.

Quick change tool post and a 3 jaw chuck, five tools per part X 1500 parts, do the math. No bar feeder/puller either so manual chuck/unchuck. Using a VNMG insert for turning, facing and the thread undercut thereby saving a tool change to a grooving tool for this operation, a CNMG insert would not do this. Flood coolant helps keep the chips down where they belong.

This is 1000 Rpm's with the door open and no coolant, at speed the chips will hit you right on the noggin.

Back