Vise's Bed Height in Metal Cut off Saw

levisitor

Registered
Registered
When I was looking for specification of different metal cut-off saws, I always see something as "Bed Height" in the spec. I searched some diagrams of vise assembly on google and it seems that for "workbench vises" the bed is the body (maybe i'm wrong).

So my question is this : What does "Bed height" actually mean ? Also what is it meant when I see " Bed height matched to something" ?

Judging by the length of bed height, I think it is something like the actual height of vise from floor but I kinda doubt that.

2001-01-01%20001.jpg

Never heard of bed height, but I would assume it is the height of the bottom of the vise on the cut off saw where the stock rests when clamped.

My saw came with a 20 foot conveyor for feeding bar stock to the saw. So if a guy is ordering a new saw or conveyor he wants to know if the bed height is compatible with his stock handling equipment or his saw.

Last edited:
2001-01-01%20001.jpg

Never heard of bed height, but I would assume it is the height of the bottom of the vise on the cut off saw where the stock rests when clamped.

My saw came with a 20 foot conveyor for feeding bar stock to the saw. So if a guy is ordering a new saw or conveyor he wants to know if the bed height is compatible with his stock handling equipment or his saw.

So the part when they say "matching to something" is for the stock handling?Also I forgot to put some examples,

in the spec of Metalex AS-350 Abrasive Cut Off Saw you can see :

Model AS-350
Blade specification 350mm x 25mm
Vice opening 190mm
Vice bed height 965mm

and in STERLING STC1300 SA TWIN COLUMN SEMI-AUTOMATIC BANDSAW

Bed Height mm 545

Vice Bed Height mm 545

The photo with BBB's saw dumping coolant on the bar being cut shows the bed. The bed is what the material being cut rests on and how high it is off the floor is bed height.

Back