Vise Types By Torque

green

Registered
Registered
Does anyone know if there's a list of different vise types and how much maximum torque can the screw deliver.
For example, how do 4" wide vises compare? Which is the most powerful, and which is the least powerful.
thanks
tony

The maximum torque depends upon how hard you crank it. If you are looking for the maximum clamping force, a finer pitch thread will deliver more force for a given torque. Most of the modern milling vises use a lockdown feature where part of the force applied is used to pull the movable jaw tight to the base of the vise. Other factors are how much of the applied force is lost in friction in the screw, the screw socket, and the thrust bearing. A ball bearing thrust bearing is more efficient than a thrust washer.

There are also limitations on the materials used in the vise so you can't put a breaker bar on the vise nut and keep cranking. The vises that I have seen have the fixed jaw secured with a key and two socket head cap screws. Applying excessive clamping force tends to rotate the fixed jaw, putting stress on the two screws and possibly distorting the key or the casting. There is also the possibility of stripping the threads.

Greatly appreciate the info. I am trying to replace my quick clamp vise(
craftsman) because it's worn . I prefer another low profile vise that,
very seldom, can be used to bend some 1/8 aluminum strip( 1/2" wide) with a
vise held brake. I have limited workbench space for a standard bench
mounted vise( I would run into it constantly, and I am talking about my elbow!), but the current one I am
using can barely bend the strip. Then again, it's a cam based vise, so I am
not sure how much this impacts the amount of force that can be applied on
an item. Ideally, I'd get another quick release vise.
I have bad wrists, and this is another reason why I am trying to get more
information about vises. The quick release vise is ideal for me, given that
I can pull down the lever rather than twist a handle.
In sum, I am looking for a low profile vise that can occasionally be used
to bend some narrow and thin aluminum strips while providing all the other
functions of a good, solid vise. The small handles on some vises make me
assume that they cannot be used to apply excessive torque on a clamped
material. Or am I wrong, and If I purchase a good Wilton, that would not be
a concern.
tony

Sorry, I thought you were referring to milling vises. For bench vises, I think you will get greater clamping force from a screw type rather than a camming closure. A milling vise is probably not the best choice. They are relatively expensive and designed for precision clamping. A standard bench vise would probably suit your needs better. They usually come with a swivel base so you could rotate it out of the way of your elbow when not in use.

If the handle is too small to get decent torque, a few taps with the hammer will snug it up.
If the vise breaks, it was junk to begin with.
Sneak into an auto-repair shop sometime and look at the bench vise, you would be amazed the amount of abuse a good vise can take.
We had a 6" mechanic's vise in one shop I worked in (I think it was a Wilton), I used to take full no-holds barred swings at stuff in it with a beater or large ball peen. We all used it routinely for pressing u-joints out because it was easier to support the drive shaft on the bench than on the press. This involved a lot of beating on the moving jaw and handle to get things started. Worked there for 7 years and the we had the same vise the whole time. My little Record bench vise would never take that type of abuse. I have knocked the handle tight on occasion with a hammer and it takes that mild abuse well enough though.
Any vise will break in short order if you use a cheater bar, knocking the handle with a hammer is sort of self-limiting because the whole thing is a bit springy.

Check out one of the big box stores like Home Despot and look at what they have. A lot of these places carry Record and you should be able to get a sense for size and power playing with them on the bench. Good chance it will be cheaper than online because of no shipping.

Is your vise actually a drill press vise? I didn't know Craftsman made a cam action bench vise. They did (do?) make a woodworkers bench vise that was a quick release, the old ones where Columbian and fine vises. My bet is that if you have been getting by with a cam action vise, a plain old Record will be a nice step up.
Hard to go wrong with a Wilton though.

I have a little Record 4" bench vise I use often. It has a swivel base and is "quick adjusting" in that once you turn the handle a turn or so clockwise you can shove the movable jaw closed onto something, or after a turn counter-clockwise you can pull the jaw open.

Unfortunately it is not implemented as good as it sounds. Too many times, just as I am tightening something it feels like the handle is engaged, so I let go of the work and tighten a bit more just to have the handle suddenly spin and my work fall on the floor.

VERY.....FRIGGIN.....FRUSTRATING! :mad:

So far I have tried to learn to work around it rather than spending the time to pull it apart and try to adjust something.
However this situation has led to a few extra hammer marks in the front of the vise.

-brino

It sounds like you're looking for a vise that you can use on a drill press that will serve double duty as a light bench vise. You won't find one, at least not one that will work well for both jobs. Get a drill press vise AND a good bench vise.

I gave up on cheap vises. I have a 4" Wilton bullet, a 3" Wilton bullet and a Charles Parker 4" and each will lock down solidly with little effort. Of all the vises I've used (many), the Parker vise is by far the best.

If your workbench space is limited you can use square tubing such as a receiver hitch mounted to the bench so you can slide whatever vise or tool you want into it and lock it down.

Back