Vise Speed Crank

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I can't find the original post that suggested this, so I'll start a new one. I had removed the left-hand table crank from my mill because it hits the bandsaw at the end of travel (small shop). It made sense to use it for a vise crank, but I didn't want to bore it out to take a 14 mm socket. An adapter was the best choice.

A chunk of 1 1/4" scrap provided the material. I turned a shaft to fit into the wheel and left a flange on the other end with a recess to center up the socket. A deep impact socket would have been preferable, but there weren't any in the bin at the junkers. The spare handwheel is seen on top of the vise. A simple matter to weld the socket into the recess.
P1010013.JPG

The wheel has three bosses on the back side to key it to the leadscrew shaft, so a bit of milling was in order. The ring under the flange was to prevent the chuck jaws from trying to grab on the weld.
P1010014.JPG

A nice fit and held in place by the setscrew.
P1010015.JPG

Not a really snug fit on the vise shaft, but it works quite well. A piece of a deep socket would be better.
P1010017.JPG

With two vises for long work, this will save a bit of time.

P1010013.JPG P1010014.JPG P1010015.JPG P1010017.JPG

Mike

I seen alot of spoked spider handles , but never seen that done before. I think thats a good idea.
I recently picked up one of those 3- spoke spider handles for my Kurt. I have to addmit, I really dont like it much. I find myself removing it after every time I use it.
Allways seems one of those spider handles is sticking up, and Ive nailed myself in the forehead with it a few times. Your handwheel method looks like a good approch.

Paul

Back