Vise Size Question & GMT Sale

BFHammer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have (99%) decided on my new mill purchase - a G0762. The table is 9 1/2 x 31 1/2.

Is a 6" vise the right size for this table? I have read else where that take the depth of the table, double it and that is the size vise you need.

Following that logic I could go with a 6" GMT (GSV-690) which has an overall length of 19". Alternatively (and of course for a few more dollars) I could go with the 6" GMT Premium (GPV-615) this vise has an overall length of 17" (only 15" not including the handle extension). As a final alternative I could drop down to the GMT 5" (GSV-550). It is essentially the same price as the 6" but has an overall length of 14" (16" including the handle extension).

Since I am completely inexperienced with a mill vise I wanted to ask you guys what you have and what works or doesn't work for you.

I'm rushing a little bit to make a decision because as I mentioned in the title GMT is having a sale! See below.

Thanks!
upload_2017-2-6_12-25-3.png

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
20120226_180341.jpg

20120226_180341.jpg

+1 on what Darkzero said. 6" is too big.

Tom S.

I had a 5" GMT on my FR45 mill and thought it was the perfect size. Unlike DZ, I never had a chance to try a 4" so can't comment.

I ended upgrading to a full size knee mill and now have a Kurt 6".

Thanks guys. As they say a picture is worth a 1000 words. Those put it in perspective.

Dark zero - excellent point about capacity and Y travel. Guess I'll have to consider the PM940 with 12" of Y travel - dang feature creep! If I don't just buy a mill soon I'm going to convince myself that nothing short of 3600lb knee mill will do for my first hobby mill.
:idea:

After some great feedback here I ordered the GMT 5" and the swivel base. I'm not sure that I will use the swivel base permanently but it would give me some options both angle milling and those situations where I run out of Y travel. Just for good measure I ordered one of their keyless chucks - they covered the shipping on the entire order. :encourage:

gsv550_swivel_01.jpg Capture.PNG

If Y travel gets really desperate I guess I could do what this guy did - just cut off the end of it!:eek 2:

IMG_0269.jpg IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

Back