Vise Advice

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey Vise Fans!

I realized I might be "hijacking" Jon's ("ome") thread by mistake, but I think it is helpful to reference that thread for future readers to get the most info about vises. So here is a link to that thread.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...se-for-my-milling-machine?p=150367#post150367

I had been watching this thread very closely.

Available to me are a used 4 inch Kurt Anglock (I can only see pics, not in person) and a new 5 inch Glacern for the same price.

I do usually believe that a brand like Kurt is-what-it-is for a reason. I am curious, besides seeing the ways looking nice (on the pics) what to look about for, or ask about to avoid obvious issues with a used-up vise. The guy says there is no play or dings. It has gray paint, so it isn't very new, but I don't care about this unless someone thinks I should. :)

I just want something as accurate-and-serviceable-forever as possible. I like to buy American as well, but am only giving up the cash for ACCURACY.

I read the thread above, but if anyone has anything to add, any opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!!

Bernie

Hey Vise Fans!

I realized I might be "hijacking" Jon's ("ome") thread by mistake, but I think it is helpful to reference that thread for future readers to get the most info about vises. So here is a link to that thread.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...se-for-my-milling-machine?p=150367#post150367

I had been watching this thread very closely.

Available to me are a used 4 inch Kurt Anglock (I can only see pics, not in person) and a new 5 inch Glacern for the same price.

I do usually believe that a brand like Kurt is-what-it-is for a reason. I am curious, besides seeing the ways looking nice (on the pics) what to look about for, or ask about to avoid obvious issues with a used-up vise. The guy says there is no play or dings. It has gray paint, so it isn't very new, but I don't care about this unless someone thinks I should. :)

I just want something as accurate-and-serviceable-forever as possible. I like to buy American as well, but am only giving up the cash for ACCURACY.

I read the thread above, but if anyone has anything to add, any opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!!

Bernie

I'm not familiar with the 4" Kurt vises, but on the 6" vises the working parts are easily rebuilt. You'd have to be very careless to truly damage a Kurt, and if there's no play or dings, I'd go for it.

depends on your needs. the 4" will obviously be lighter to take on/off as well as add less to the total weight on the table, whereas the 5" will give you more holding. if both cost the same, I'd choose based on what would be more convenient and provide you with what you need better.

FWIW - I have a 4" glacern and its a swell vice. On the other hand - a kurt is a kurt.

I used a Brown and sharpe vise for many years; finally got a 6" Kurt vise. Heavy and costly but worth ever cent when accuracy counts.

Back