Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
Hi Again,
The generosity of the people of the forum is really unbelievable.

I'm writing this thread in praise of a member that has offered me a great deal on a large camelback straightedge.
The members call sign is Scruffy!
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/members/scruffy.25115/

I have never met the man before, but out of the blue he offered me a vintage 5' Brown & Sharpe camelback straightedge for a song.
he gave me his phone# , i called him. He's a great guy was a real pleasure to talk to.
After chewing the fat for a while he practically gave the straightedge to me.
He went the extra mile and custom built a shipping crate worthy of admiration, it may just remain the straightedges' home.
the camelback went by truck from OH to Ca without a scratch, i was able to pick it up at the local YRC yard.
there was no damage, not even a scratch to the crate.
without further adieu, the photographic evidence...

ZRJmr7sNskz0ym2A1W_QzOIFmvFsrqcV1sK09zrjdfY=w640-h236-no.jpg
t-6A9rrHbG7uDl-as6tnFiNmD_6VDdV9pV_yeEDs0-c=w640-h250-no.jpg
i'll need to lightly scrape the face, there is some light oxidation- but nothing adverse.

Thanks Scruffy, the camelback will come in handy for lots of scraping projects to come!!!

Congratulations Mike!

[Scruffy]'s a great guy was a real pleasure to talk to.
After chewing the fat for a while he practically gave the straightedge to me.
He went the extra mile and custom built a shipping crate worthy of admiration

It is no surprise to me, this site has some of the most generous and caring people on the 'net.....I see it every day.
And that attitude just keeps getting passed along.
-brino

That is really nice of you, Scruffy! Shows once again that this is the best machining forum site around!

Edit: Ulma Doctor's generosity is also quite special. What goes around, comes around. Kindness breeds more kindness...

Funny how things happen. Awhile back wife and I went up to warren ,Michigan and bought a American pacemaker lathe. After it was loaded the fella told us to look around if we wanted too. This was a large factory that had closed down.
Everything had to be out of their shortly. Back in a dirty storage room was said straight edge setting on a bench. I knew what it was but really didn't have a use for it so I made the fella a ridulously low price and he said its yours.
After setting around my shop for awhile ,I was reading ulmadoc straight edge scrapping article and thought some one should have it that could use it.
If anyone ever ships anything by yellow freight which is now yrc be sure and do your bill of lading on your home computer. Was told 154.00 and it could be done at the freight terminal. Got to yrc and the fella picked up a phone and told me to give the woman all the info. The price was 378.00 . I about crapped! I asked why, was told it was because she was doing it. I asked if they were hiring to do her job.
Fella at the desk was laughing and let me use one of their computers. Price was now 144.00. Straight edge weighed 60 lbs. crate weighed 60 lbs. but it made the trip safely.
Thanks scruff

Back