Victory! It’s going to be a good year.

been waiting since 1973 to get this one out.
The black dot in the top middle finger joint.
A sea urchin spine, really deep, the puncture hurt but the bit left in didnt.
Its slowly (very very slowly) getting closer to the surface.
View attachment 390559
I would have dug, and dug, until it was out. I can't leave anything alone. I would rather have to heal and fight an infection from self surgery than live with a foreign body.

That might be bothering me a little bit right now!

This is what your doctor uses to get splinters out. Big, small, deep or not deep, this works. You use the pointed probe to move tissue aside until you can see the splinter and then use the tweezers to go in an grab it. Works every time, provided you can see the little sucker, so an Optivisor really helps.

Doctors do not use toenail clippers to remove splinters but, you know, whatever works, right? ;)

When I was a kid going to school (1967- 1972) at the UW in Madison Wisconsin I worked the night shift at the GM assembly plant in Janesville. One of the jobs I had was to fixture the front fenders of pickup trucks in a multi head drill press and drill the holes for the chrome trim and nameplates. The fixtures had well over 100 drill heads each that had to be programed for the proper trim for each truck.

To set the clamps and actuate the drills there were a pair of levers at the operator's station. Both levers had to bae actuated in unison to be sure your hands were out of the machine. One night I was in a hurry and lifted a pair of fenders into the fixture. I already had my left hand on one control lever while my other arm and hand were still inside the fender attempting to position it. I accidentally pushed down on the left lever and much to my surprise the clamps closed, and the machine began it's cycle.

My hand and arm were trapped, but there wasn't much I could do about it. When the cycle finished I had 14 holes in my right arm, hand and middle finger. They hurt a bit but nothing serious. I went to the nurse, got the swarf removed (or so I thought) got a shot, got bandaged, up and went back to work.

Several years later (1986) I was sitting in a lecture at work and felt a sting in the second knuckle of the middle finger on my right hand.
When I touched the area there was no feeling just a dead spot. Being curious I kept working at the spot and it felt like a thick callous. Eventually I got out my pocket knife and started digging. After a few minutes a callous nearly the size of a pea popped out. there was a recess in the finger where it had been covered with normal skin. When I examined the callous I found a piece of swarf from the accident. Eventually the dent in my finger filled in.

been waiting since 1973 to get this one out.
The black dot in the top middle finger joint.
A sea urchin spine, really deep, the puncture hurt but the bit left in didnt.
Its slowly (very very slowly) getting closer to the surface.
View attachment 390559
When I was diving I had this really crazy guy as my buddy since my dad was getting his advanced and this guy wanted to everything and was going way to fast kicking up sand everywhere. On the next dive I went with my dad and when we came up that guy had 3 urchin spines in his leg. He said that he fell on one and instead of pulling them out he let them snap off and leave a part in his skin and said that it was a free tattoo!

Having more than a handful of horses, I keep a stash of hypodermic needles. They work well for getting out those little splinters. I've gone through quite a few that way.

I ran into an oak pallet that was standing up against a post at work one day. Couldn't figure why it hurt so bad but finished the day. I knew there was a splinter but being in the back side of my right shoulder, it was tough to reach. Had my wife (girlfriend at the time) and even my mom check it and they found nothing. They both about passed out when I finally got to digging and pulled a 1 1/4" splinter out. What a relief!

I keep a scalpel and jewellers loupe handy

Back