VFD vs RPC......again

I'd want to check the idler motor for damage- ohm out the windings to the case and to each other
Then check for bad (shorted, open) caps and fried (open) relay/contactor coils- if there is a potential relay it would probably be toast

VFDs are quiet, make speed adjusting far easier, and can do quick stop if a brake is added. BUT, I'd guess there's a good chance it will not solve what burned in the lightening strike.
I got rid of the VFD for my Bridgeport mostly because it was so loud and annoying to listen to. It's a TECO 510, so not a cheap unit (not that it's terribly expensive). My RPC is much quieter and a lower frequency that's far less annoying to me, plus it's 15 feet away making it even less of an issue.

For the OP with a variable speed head the only real benefit of a VFD that I can think of would be the ability to have a braking function.

I've thought it out and will repair the rpc. I like the controls on the machine and haven't found any benefit from a vfd in my situation. It'll be a while before I get to it. I stupidly exceeded my body's limitations by working in the sun all day yesterday. Today is an AC day.
Thanx for all the input.

Shelly
Something to consider is having a way to disconnect the supply when not in use. Many years ago I was home when lightning stuck extremely close to the house. I had the stereo on at the time and one of the speakers died and let the smoke out as soon as the strike happened. For a few months afterwards we had random electrical items fail throughout the house. Since then I try to avoid leaving things connected that don't absolutely have to be.....welders, lathes, mills, etc all are physically separated from the connection back to the panel.

Putting something in between the panel and the input on the RPC that you can physically separate will make it essentially impossible for a lightning strike to get voltage/amperage to the RPC. An on/off disconnect box isn't foolproof since lighting can jump gaps a lot bigger than what's inside a box. Simple M/F plugs work and only add a few seconds to a job.

Capacitors are used to arrest lightning surges so RPC tend to be bullet proof. Diodes and transistors is what is taken out in a lightning surge strike. Here's how I look at it, if your going to HAVE one machine then its VFD on the other hand if you are going to get many machines then you should get a RPC.

Back