nope only one .
A main motor
B switch /phase inverter
C cooling pumpmotor
D cooling pump switch
E power supply
F minima of tension
G main switch

So you are not going to use the coolant pump? (that is a motor, so you do have two)

The second one you linked looks like a re-labeled Teco model and is probably a better unit, the first one is a China made cheapot, they seem to work OK according to those who have them but they can be a challenge to program since the manuals are very poorly written.

Looks like your motor has two sets of center-tapped windings giving 4 modes: Forward low-speed, forward high-speed, reverse low-speed and reverse high-speed. One set of wires supplies power to the full winding and the other set of wires supplies power to the half-winding (center-tap). The switch is capable of reversing the polarity of either of the sets which gives you the forward or reverse function.

You have a problem on your hands because a VFD only has one set of output lines and the motor requires two sets of input lines. No... You cannot use two VFDs to get around this problem if that is what you are thinking.

I personally think the best solution, is to abandon one of the sets of wiring. In this case, you would connect the VFD output to the full-winding input lines of the motor. From there, you would use the VFD's frequency/speed and forward/reverse function to control the motor.

Ray

after reading my post a bearly understand my self what i wrote :thinking:

so here i go again

on the old continent we got 220V mono for home use 3x220v (old configuration ) ore 3x380v+N (indistrial power )
i bought a lathe withe a 3x220 V motor with a transformator so it runs on the 380 V now
in my workshop where i want to install the lathe i only got 220V mono
i can install the 380 option but then i need to run a 380v line to my workshop ( instalation in electrical cabinet + 60 yrds to my shop with al the hardware and manhours i think 500-700 $)
so i was thinking on the VFD option so i can run it on the 220V mono (250 $) but way more controle on the lathe speed etc. )
only drawback is from what read here is that i can not use the original lever without rewiring it .
i understand i can rewire it so the originale lever can act like a the remote controle from the VFD
i probably lose the dual speed function from the lever but F/O/R will do also
how do i do that ?

View attachment 44541

Hard to say...

I have 3 VFD's in my shop. Two are expensive ones from Automation Direct and one is the same as the inexpensive one (65lb UK) shown in the first link. All work well and have been very reliable. The adjustable parameters for all of them are identical and so are main characteristics of the board such as placement of power headers etc. For my particular units they are probably repackaged versions of the same thing or, one is a knock-off clone of the other. Either way, they both work well.

Ray

If you decide to use the technique mentioned earlier in post #13, the output of the VFD would be connected to the input lines on the motor marked as PA, PB and PC. Those wires connect the full edges of the delta and thus represent the full-length winding.

To verify this, with the motor completely disconnected from the power lines, connect an Ohm meter between PC and GB and take a reading. Then connect the meter between PC and PA. The first reading should be much less (approximately 1/2) of the second reading.

Once you've identified PA, PB and PC, the Ohm meter should read about the same when connecting anywhere between any of those lines and they probably won't vary much more than approximately +/- 10%.

You must properly identify PA, B and C as if you don't, you could end-up with a dead-on short and fry one of the windings. To be on the safe side, you might consider temporarily installing circuit breakers on each of the feed lines to the motor. That will act as a safety mechanism in case you get things wrong.

If you are not comfortable doing this, please get someone qualified to be with you to help you.

Ray

wil run it without cooling for now
ore i change the pump to mono ore a small VFD just for the pump

opened up the lathe and got al ot smarter now
motor is already marked wiht high and low speed
right side (gray wires are high speed )
left side (blue wires are low speed )
IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

if the normal high speed(2800 rpm/50hz ) is 45 rpm -1000 rpm i wonder how low /high i can go with the VFD

got the oem run/off/reverse switch out also to rewire it for the VFD remote controle

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg
IMAG0191.jpg

last pic shows that the other wires are the power lines
so i connect the VFD direct to the high speed on the motor
then run fw/off/ rev wires to the switch i need to figger out where to connect what where

IMAG0188.jpg IMAG0179.jpg IMAG0203.jpg IMAG0202.jpg IMAG0191.jpg

Last edited:
The second one you linked looks like a re-labeled Teco model and is probably a better unit, the first one is a China made cheapot, they seem to work OK according to those who have them but they can be a challenge to program since the manuals are very poorly written.

yes probably teco that is what the sell also

Q1; they got a basic and a advanced VFD
the advanced give more torque at low speed is this neede ore not
Q2: ex can you run a 2hp motor on a 3hp VFD

It is better to have the advanced one that has constant torque.

Yes, you can run a 2 HP motor on a 3 HP VFD but, you must program the VFD to limit the Amperage to the value printed on the label of the motor. In the picture, I can only see one of the numbers that looks like 5.4 / ---. Use the higher of the two numbers.

With a VFD, you should not run the motor at speeds above what is printed on the label of the motor. What Country are you in? You probably have 50 Hz. When you program the VFD, you should set the maximum frequency to 50 Hz.

If I were you, I would disconnect the blue input wires and cap each one off with a wire cap and electrical tape. Do the same thing with the gray wires.

Connect new wires from the output of the VFD to the terminals on the motor where the gray wires were connected.

Yes, you could get a small VFD for the pump motor or replace it with a single-frequency motor.

Since the motor is 3 HP and you have a 2.2kW VFD, you must supply the VFD with a 20 Amp power line.

yes probably teco that is what the sell also

Q1; they got a basic and a advanced VFD
the advanced give more torque at low speed is this neede ore not
Q2: ex can you run a 2hp motor on a 3hp VFD

the 1000 rpm is morethen enuff for me but i like very low speed sometime
the motor is only 1.8 hp max . 5.4 A
yep whe got 50 hz

You will be able to get slow speed by turning the knob on the VFD. The VFD will also let you go faster than 50 HZ but the motor might not like that because it may only be balanced for operation up to 50Hz.

the 1000 rpm is morethen enuff for me but i like very low speed sometime
the motor is only 1.8 hp max . 5.4 A
yep whe got 50 hz

Back