VFD REMOTE SWITCHES

No problem at all putting the starter on the supply side, and it'll add a bit to the.machine's safety - what you shouldn't do is put any switchgear between the VFD and the.motor, that can let the magic smoke out!

Dave H. (the other one)

I have a question around this topic I think, my lathe was a single phase 220v 2hp motor with a mag reversing starter that you controlled by a lever under the front of the carriage, down was forward and up was reverse. I am changing this setup to a VFD, I have increased the motor to 3hp, purchased a IMO Jaguar VFD of the correct size for the motor, the motor is a VFD rated motor and I have a remote control station that has run, forward, reverse, stop, jog and a pot for speed on it. My question is can I use the existing mag starter to send the power to the VFD so that I may continue to use the original switch or will I ruin the VFD by interrupting the feed line to it ? The VFD is a 240v 1ph input to a 240v 3ph motor.

Remember that you may NOT have any switches between the VFD and the motor, you can only switch the feed side of the VFD.
IMO, you should eliminate the mag switch, then rewire the other controls to operate the VFD.

Or did I misread your question?

Back