VFD REMOTE SWITCHES

chopper steve

Registered
Registered
Got my teco fm50 up and running. Now for the remote switches. Don't know much about these, so if anyone can post some links or part numbers for the right ones, That would be great. Not sure if the switch should be single/double contact , n o, n c.?????? HELP!!!!! Just looking for fwd/stop/rev and a pot for motor control. I have searched in here with no luck. Thanks Steve

The control wiring to VFD's is low voltage. Varies by manufacturer but usually under 30 volts. Most any type switch will do in a pinch. VFD's take a normally open input from a common source of reference. That said you can change to NC operation via programming but why change unless you really need too. Just something else to remember.

What is more important is the type of signal, momentary or maintained. Momentary-pushbutton. Maintained-selector switch. You will have to program the VFD to tell it which type you are using. Pushbutton-3 wire control. Selector switches-2wire control. This activates the internal programming to include a maintaining circuit for the start button. For the sake of safety (my big problem) you should use momentary inputs to forego accidental start on power up unless you are experienced in control wiring and know how to eleviate this potential problem. REASON: If you are operating your machine and there is a power outage, momentary or sustained you do not want the machine to self start upon the return of power. So far we have three pushbuttons. FORWARD. REVERSE. STOP. Next the speed control. This is only a 3 wire resistive reference for the drive so the least expensive route is a trip to radio shack for a rotery potentiometer in the 3K to 10K range. Not critical as this is only a reference input and the drive will know how to handle it. Don't forget to get a knob either, just a finishing touch to your pushbutton enclosure and a switch label if they have one. I am big on neat, professional, looks. After all, you have to look at it from now till forever.

Switches. I really like the 22mm european DIN style. Usually pretty affordable. I don't know your sources but a oil tight 22mm pushbutton with a NO contact block costs me about $9 or less. This size button mounts in a 7/8" punched or drilled hole, 1/2" conduit size so you should not have to buy any more tooling. There are operators available for your speed control to match your PB's but the are horrendiously expensive. In the $65 + range. Oil tite means just that. They are gasketed and sealed against liquid entry into the enclosure be it oil, coolant, water whatever. In other words made for and intended for the purpose. The larger operators use a 1 7/32" hole usually with a square notched locking hole to prevent turning after installation. But they are way more expensive, require a larger enclosure and just aren't as cute as the smaller ones. AB and Telmecinique (SqD) are two very good brands.

There you have it. There are a thousand other ways to do the same job, this is just one. If you need more features like keyed lockouts, jog functions etc we can add anything. As I used to tell my customers, "With your money and my brains, we can do anything!" Boy do I tend to be mouthy.

Get this done so you can start making SWARF.

Looks like page 17 has the basics of the wiring. The various control inputs appear to be momentary contact switches, typically push-button. There will be some parameters to set to make sure things act the way you want them to. That's what the rest of the manual is for.

Steve, you need a DPDT or SPDT center off switch to control the FWD/OFF/REV. This will have three positions.

Depending on your machine, it may be possible to rewire the factory switch to control the VFD.

Looks like page 17 has the basics of the wiring. The various control inputs appear to be momentary contact switches, typically push-button. There will be some parameters to set to make sure things act the way you want them to. That's what the rest of the manual is for.

FYI Tony, they do not have to be momentary on the FM50-they can be but dont have to be.

The TECO FM50 works best with sustained switches rather than momentary switches. The FM50 will NOT do normal "3 wire control*" without external relays. So the easy path is a SPST center off switch for forward/off/reverse and a 10K ohm potentiometer. Look for a 10K ohm linear taper potentiometer rather than logarithmic (audio) taper. Either will work but the linear will give a more even control over the range. You can add a momentary contact for an emergency stop button, if I remember correctly it would be NO (normally open), it's been a few years since I hooked up an FM50, personally I think the user manual is not this units strong point.

Many other TECO VFDs like the N3 and 7300 can do 3 wire control out of the box.

*3 wire control use two momentary contact switches a NO for start and a NC (normally closed) for stop. The control stations used with a typical magnetic starter are this type.

The TECO FM50 works best with sustained switches rather than momentary switches. The FM50 will NOT do normal "3 wire control*" without external relays. So the easy path is a SPST center off switch for forward/off/reverse and a 10K ohm potentiometer. Look for a 10K ohm linear taper potentiometer rather than logarithmic (audio) taper. Either will work but the linear will give a more even control over the range. You can add a momentary contact for an emergency stop button, if I remember correctly it would be NO (normally open), it's been a few years since I hooked up an FM50, personally I think the user manual is not this units strong point.

Many other TECO VFDs like the N3 and 7300 can do 3 wire control out of the box.

*3 wire control use two momentary contact switches a NO for start and a NC (normally closed) for stop. The control stations used with a typical magnetic starter are this type.

Here is an example of doing something similar to what CluelessNewB is talking about. This is the wiring diagram I created for putting a VFD on my lathe. It uses relays to maintain sustained conductivity while using momentary switches and a potentiometer for speed control. I set it up with reverse, jog, variable speed, and both emergency and normal stop. The wiring for these functions and what type of controls you need all depend upon your VFD. Get to know the manual well, it is your friend. I hope this clarifies some of the mystery for you.

Lathe VFD Wiring.jpg

Lathe VFD Wiring.jpg

Attachments

• Lathe VFD Wiring.pdf
    48 KB · Views: 43
Back