VFD on my Bridgeport Mill: Enclosure Build, Wiring, Remote Panel

I had another member ask me for the parts list that I used for this build. Attached is a pdf version (can't upload excel sheet) of the list I had in my files. I'm not sure it is entirely complete, but it should give some guidance on most of the parts and where to source them.

Attachments

• VFD_enclosure.pdf
    259.2 KB · Views: 28
Looks good. Just saw this thread. Did you post the schematic? Be happy to take a look at it and comment. Typically grounding, neutrals and common get overlooked. As an experienced design, I still say these are complicated issues in a design and overlooked the most.

On a large machine build, I would spend the entire 1st day just verify the grounds, neutrals and commons are wired correctly. Techs would think I was crazy till I found errors. If you got everything correct you could be able to measure ZERO current with a current clamp.

Looks like a Hoffman enclosure to me. Nice BOM too. Description of wire I would add voltage rating, but I'm being picky.

Question? Is the fan blowing in the enclosure or out. I see filter on top.

There are two fans, one on the bottom of the enclosure blowing in and one on top blowing out. They both have filters.

A very well thought out and executed panel.

I do have one suggestion about grounding. Terminating the motor ground to the PE terminal at the drive insures that EMI and RFI noise generated by the drive will be controlled by the drive. However you should run a ground wire from the drives PE terminal to the panel ground and the area under the standoffs on the panel ground should be ground or sanded to the bare a metal. all of this is to insure that the DRO and tach will not be affected by the electrical noise generated by the drive. Again I have seen professional built panels that are not as well built as yours.

A very well thought out and executed panel.

......... However you should run a ground wire from the drives PE terminal to the panel ground and the area under the standoffs on the panel ground should be ground or sanded to the bare a metal. ............ Again I have seen professional built panels that are not as well built as yours.

I like the entire quote, but left just my favorite parts. I had the bare metal call-out on all of my prints for panels. When you are running ground, you must be careful to not add internal ground loops on the panel. It's not critical on this panel but always good to have good fundamentals. I like to draw out a schematic with just grounds, so they are visible. Having a drawing for just grounds on a more complicated project was important, especially when I had new electrical techs learning my design style. When you have package devices in a design like those VFD's and docs are poor, you can't really see all of the ground paths. Sometimes you will need to break out the meter and check the frame to other terminals. Don't assume the engineer designing those devices was the greatest. Shielded cable and routing becomes critical when you got to deal with noise in the 400khz range. Tough to handle hard to understand what choices to make at times. Mu metal is one tool you can use. Not heard of it, do some searching...

Smart DC motor controller, haven't seen one yet that didn't have something wrong. I like Automaton direct for the low cost and solid documentation. Lead times and service great as well.

Siemens controls have serviced me well thou, they are just real expensive. Gear going to Europe, I try and buy everything Siemens. PLC's, contactors, motor starters, Breakers, relays , etc. Spare parts and access drives the choice.

Home builds, never used them so far.

I did watch your videos, I was feeling sorry for you with that hole saw. I made my techs cut large square holes for vents and fans. The Greenlee punches for the small stuff and those stepped drill bits are the trick tool.

For those big holes, a template and plasma cutter does the trick. Template guides you around the hole so you can move faster and not melt the paint too bad. An air powered zip cutter works great too.

How did you reference that DC supply in the cabinet? Hooking a meter from ground to DC common what will you get? Pretty hard to do with those wall-warts. Those things falling out can be issues too. [e.g. you got a machine billing out at $1K / hr or more, and it goes down from a wall-wart falling out. Bosses be ******.]

Hi, the panel was bonded to the VFD using the ground bar and the panel was bonded to the enclosure. And a ground was brought to the ground bar. Not sure it was all clear in the writeup.

Back