VFD on 110 volt Drill Press possible

bobdog

Registered
Registered
I have a old 110 volt single phase Southbend drill press would like to have variable speeds on it. Is there a way to put a VFD on it or another kind of other variable speed controller on it ? Thanks Dave

I have a old 110 volt single phase Southbend drill press would like to have variable speeds on it. Is there a way to put a VFD on it or another kind of other variable speed controller on it ? Thanks Dave

It is possible to run a drill press with a VFD, ONLY if the motor is 3 phase. Single phase motors are not likely to be made variable. I have a 12o VAC input VFD running a 3 ph. 22o VAC 3/4 hp motor for my SB 9A lathe. There are other posts on the forum that cover this topic in detail.

My approach to that problem on an old drill press was to swap out the AC motor for a modern 90vDC motor and a KB pwm controller. I kept the step pulley- don't use it much, but do use it. That approach gave me the best of both worlds- old, indestructible iron (with a rebuilt spindle) and a modern speed control.

My approach to that problem on an old drill press was to swap out the AC motor for a modern 90vDC motor and a KB pwm controller. I kept the step pulley- don't use it much, but do use it. That approach gave me the best of both worlds- old, indestructible iron (with a rebuilt spindle) and a modern speed control.

That is what my SB9A has on it now. I'm upgrading to the VFD-3/4 system that is in place awaiting transferring the lathe from a different location. My supply is a regenerative KB controller that provides reliable and rapid reversing.

As the other replies mention you need to swap the motor for a 3 phase motor in order to use a VFD.
A number of threads on this forum discuss upgrading machines to VFD and 3 phase motor.

Many threads are in this forum.

One source of VFD and 3 phase motor is Dealers Electric.

You need to get a motor with the same NEMA frame to match the mounting holes, shaft ID and key size. Most folks get the same RPM. If you have nominal 1750 RPM motor, a new 3 phase equivalent should be able to run up to 3600 RPM. Most VFDs will allow changing the frequency from 0 or almost 0 up to 120 Hz.

At low Hz, the motor torque may drop.

Back