VFD for Mill

timberg

Registered
Registered
I talked to Matt about this and he said to post my question on the PM thread, and since I do own a PM1440GT and a PM band saw I thought it was a OK fit.

I have a older Jet JTM-1 mill step pulley that has a 2HP, 2 speed, 3 phase motor. The motor plate has this info on it: Hz 60, Pole 2/4, 6.2/5.6 Amp, RPM 1720/3450, Class E. I have seen a lot of info regarding VFD installs, enclosures, switches etc. What would be the best fit for the mill? I don't need anything too fancy just functional. Thanks for your time!

Sound like a good plan to me. Seems funny that you've only gotten one reply so far. Could be a good idea to repost in the questions and answers section or the like.

This is not really related to PM since it's about a Jet machine. Regardless, machine brand doesn't matter here since you're looking for info on a VFD. Moving this to electrical, hopefully you'll get some more views over there.

I talked to Matt about this and he said to post my question on the PM thread, and since I do own a PM1440GT and a PM band saw I thought it was a OK fit.

I have a older Jet JTM-1 mill step pulley that has a 2HP, 2 speed, 3 phase motor. The motor plate has this info on it: Hz 60, Pole 2/4, 6.2/5.6 Amp, RPM 1720/3450, Class E. I have seen a lot of info regarding VFD installs, enclosures, switches etc. What would be the best fit for the mill? I don't need anything too fancy just functional. Thanks for your time!
Biggest issue I see, is the 2 speed motor. VFD's do not like any switches on their output side. I would look at either an interlock, so the VFD is turned off, before the motor speed control can be changed. Or lock the switch in one position, and use the VFD to control the speed.

I was in touch with Automation Direct with regards to using the VFD listed above with a two speed motor. Their tech said no problem, just don't switch the two speed switch while the motor is running. No need to turn off the input power to the VFD. I've been using it on a radial arm drill press and it works fine.

Greg

sorry to be late to the party timberg,
Teco make a wonderful VFD in the Hp range you want- easy to set up and run- good manuals
Huanyang makes a decent quality, inexpensive VFD also- i have 3hp VFD on my Shenwai 1236 lathe-
it works great, easy to set up and program- the manual is written in funny Chinglish in a lot of places but understandable
Omron/Yaskawa make quality drives that are industrial quality, (kinda on the expensive side) a bit more involved to set up and program- great manuals
Lenze makes excellent VFD's too, price is expensive- programming/set up is more involved- great manuals

Could I just remove the High/Low/Rev/Fwd switch and wire straight to the motor and use the VFD itself. Being a two speed I'm still not clear on how to hook that up. I'm also leaning towards the Hitachi drive with an additional cable to remote. Thoughts?

yes you can remove the switch and wire the motor direct.
you'll most likely use the low speed windings and overspeed the motor to 120hz, to gain full operational rpm of the motor.
you could go the other way, and use the high speed windings and operate the motor at 30Hz, if that proved to be more advantageous.
Hitachi also makes high quality VFD's, a remote panel is a great idea

Back