VFD' and RFC'c ?

Thanks a ton fellers. I was all conflumagated till you got me straight again. I really appreciate the understandable explanations a bunch. I have the opportunity to gets some 3 Ph screen printing machines, but have been struggling with how I was going to power it if I did end up getting it. There seems to be a plethora of spare 3 Ph motors at the flea markets and on CL, so I might start looking into building one just in case I need one in the future. Most of the real heavy duty machine shop grade stuff I see on the auction and sales sites are cheaper if they are multi phase versus single. They also have a tougher time selling them so I stand a better chance of being able to call the owner and have a chance that it isn't already long gone too. Now that I understand a bit better I am not nearly as concerned by multi phase as I was.
Bob

Hey Paul, I've used a starter rope many a time, but I can better that......kick start! Roll the motor shaft with the sole of the boot until it gets fast enough to "catch" and run on up. One day we couldn't find the rope, and we had to start work, so kicking it was. This was a 25 hp or so motor, so pretty heavy to get rolling, but it can be done.

Hey Paul, I've used a starter rope many a time, but I can better that......kick start! Roll the motor shaft with the sole of the boot until it gets fast enough to "catch" and run on up. One day we couldn't find the rope, and we had to start work, so kicking it was. This was a 25 hp or so motor, so pretty heavy to get rolling, but it can be done.

Yep, Thats another way to get er done.
Maybe in my younger days I would give that a go. But these days, knowing me, Id loose balance and end up on my butt.

I have used my belt a few times, it works too, but gotta watch out your drawers dont fall down in the process :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I guess now Bob has been officially 3 phased :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If your going to keep your eyes open for a motor Bob, keep a eye out for the cast iron case motors. Also the look for the 1200 RPM motors run very quiet, but take more looking to find. The 1750 rpm jobs are ok too, but Id stay clear of the 3600 rpm motors, they will drive you to drink with all the noise. Be certain you get the proper voltage too, unless your putting a tranformer in the mix.

my mill had the start winding burnt out of it and I was broke so for years while waiting for a free motor the rights size I would wrap a cord around the pulley and pull. I called it my briggs and straton mill lol
steve

Nicely illustrated, Frank. Thanks for the screen shop. That says it all.

Back