Vfd and old Peerless motor

Pete301

Registered
Registered
Can anyone advise if this motor would work on a VFD? It’s currently running on 240, 3 phase thru a Phase-A-Matic static converter ( which changes it to the 3 phase).
VFD has appeal for both the ability to control rpm and to regain lost power that the static converter causes.
I don’t understand the delta motor wiring thing and have no idea how the motor is wired or if it even matters.

Attachments

• IMG_5848.jpeg
    IMG_5848.jpeg
    576 KB · Views: 11
Should work when configured for low voltage mode
FYI that motor is a "star" winding style- vfd will run both star or delta
Connect motor directly to VFD output- no switches in between
Any remote switches would be connected to VFD instead (start/stop/reverse)

Last edited:
Should work when configured for low voltage mode
FYI that motor is a "star" winding style- vfd will run both star or delta
Connect motor directly to VFD output- no switches in between
Any remote switches would be connected to VFD instead (start/stop/reverse)
Wow, a very fast and definitive response!! And the answer I hoped to hear! Time to go VFD shopping. Thank you Mark.i won’t embarrass myself by telling you how much time I spent trying to understand the delta star wiring thing.

One thing to keep in mind- insulation breakdown is possible on these old motors. Fortunately it's rare, but it can
happen. The fast-rising vfd waveform is hard on that old insulation and sometimes can punch thru/ short internally.
Modern inverter-rated motors are better protected and are also more efficient- not cheap tho
You might want to spend a few extra ducats for a better vfd like Teco- the output filtering is likely better than on the cheapo units
and the documentation is certainly better

Last edited:
If the motor is operating in the 30 to 90 Hz envelope, you shouldn’t have any problems.
The motor windings can handle short periods of time in the under excited or over excited state without consequence.
I have successfully run motors from the 1920’s on inexpensive vfds- no problems experienced

If the motor is operating in the 30 to 90 Hz envelope, you shouldn’t have any problems.
The motor windings can handle short periods of time in the under excited or over excited state without consequence.
I have successfully run motors from the 1920’s on inexpensive vfds- no problems experienced
Well, I think I’ll go cheap with the VFD and see what happens. Now my next problem will be with wiring in the drum type switch. I know it can’t go between the motor and the VFD. But I just opened the motor wiring box , saw a maze and decided to pause before I confuse myself.

You can operate the motor directly from the VFD, but if you are so inclined you can certainly use the DCM functions to wire in a drum switch for starting, stopping as well as directional control

As a point of information, In the star (wye) configuration 1-7, 2-8, 3-9 motor wire pairings with 4,5,6 shorted is the normal configuration for 220 nominal AC voltage to run a3 phase motor

As a point of information, In the star (wye) configuration 1-7, 2-8, 3-9 motor wire pairings with 4,5,6 shorted is the normal configuration for 220 nominal AC voltage to run a3 phase motor
With your help and Mark’s, I got the VFD wired and working, including the rotary switch for off and F/R. I had been running it on an old Phase a Matic static converter and now it’s running much quieter. Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_5899.jpeg
    IMG_5899.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 4
Back