Very slightly enlarging a hole?

You have a mill and a lathe. You could make that piece then. Technically, you could drill that hole in your lathe with a four jaw chuck (after filing a flat for the drill to start). It might be easier on a mill though. People have made a lot of sophisticated stuff with hand tools. To make that slit by hand I would use a fine toothed saw. It wouldn't be difficult, especially if the piece was brass. But since you have a mill now, I'd just use a slitting saw.

Under the Projects Forum, there is a Member's Project subforum. I think that is the logical place. It is your project, is it not? But you could just start a thread in Metrology. Or start a thread in the Member's Project area. Either way.

This is a cool project. Definitely would be good for all your earlier posts on this project to be swept up and put in a common place. Might want to contact a Moderator to see if they can help with that.

If you are making a sliding weight to adjust center of mass, get clever a d make it look good...

Make a longer slender tube with a collet close at the top side.

Make a matching cover nut that you use to secure it.

No obvious method to secure it, loosen, slide then twist to lock

Look at an exacto knife.

Make same basic thing as a tube with a round collet instead of the flat that holds the blade.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

You might want to consider these aluminum clamping shaft collars.

They are $3.11 each in 1/4" shaft size. You can also get them in steel, stainless steel and plastic. https://www.mcmaster.com/split-collars/clamping-shaft-collars-9/

Yes, a collar like that, probably in stainless, would likely suffice all by itself for a fine center-of-gravity adjustment weight. I'll likely still make my own weight in brass, though, for the sake of learning. I'll get the new mill running, too.

I'll start a new thread with a summary of the project, comments on progress, and links to prior question/answer threads.

Thanks everyone.

I have the same idea as that mentioned by tq60 but I will buy it instead of making it. Get a ER collet tool extender and press fit the shank to the brass disc . No extra machining needed. Globalization has driven the price of these accessories down to a point that I won't consider spending time to make it .

1649729650087.png

Back