Very Early South Bend 13

Herk
I will take some close ups tomorrow. It is a homemade setup and probably not the best but appears to have worked this way for 60 years or more.

okay, here's the other Keith Rucker video I remembered but could not find earlier:

in this one he brazes in filler material for the missing gear teeth and then re-cuts the gaps.

-brino
I knew I should have bought the little horizontal mill sitting next to the lathe at the auction.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Can you post pictures of your drive arrangement? I need to power a 16" gap bed SBL (ser #3273) of similar vintage, and I'm looking for ideas.
Don't know why it is rotating my pics 90 degrees sorry for the sore neck ha.

It is mounted to the spindle cap bolts. Probably not ideal. If I can come up with a better way of doing it I would like to change it. Unless that is the best way. I'm not an expert on 100+ year old machines so any input would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpeg
Almost certainly 16 DP, and the last number may well be number of teeth. Look up change gears in the Boston catalog (stiff drink in hand) or try ebay. Unless it's the worm drive.

I've got "most" of a salvaged apron, in pieces. Might have those in a bin somewhere, from a slightly later model (1919). Count the teeth and send me a note, picture, or some other info.
The apron gears are the same pitch and width as the change gears. The idler gear is a 5/8 bore like the change gears. The rack pinion gear appears to have the rack gear pressed into it. Idler is 51 tooth and the rack opinion gear is a 52. If I can find change gears with those number teeth I think I could get this thing back to operating condition. It has already had a braze and cut fix at one time but looks like it was cut with a hack saw! Not pretty at all. Everything else looks good. The worm gear and key show very little wear.

IMG_6839.JPG IMG_6802.JPG Here is my south bend after a few months of cleaning and making a few parts. It is all functional except for threading. The half nuts were damaged sometime in the last century.

Back