Very confused after aligning the tailstock.

My tailstock had some nod in it, too. There is no built-in adjustment for that but shims took care of the problem.

Having just added some X offset in my back splash, I have to agree that a back splash is just a poor place for an indicator. It is just not rigid enough for what you want to do. Just pressing on it, in the three principal axes using an indicator attached the the ways, should convince you of it. Using good references are essential for measurement. You should use the head stock, ways, or cross slide as references, things which are relatively massive and thick, not sheet metal. Sheet metal oil cans, resonates, and otherwise moves a lot compared to the references. Remember, measurement is usually relative, so it is important to chose the proper reference surface.

My tailstock had some nod in it, too. There is no built-in adjustment for that but shims took care of the problem.
Do you also have an 1130V by chance? Regardless, would be very interested in seeing a writeup if you did one.
I figured I would have to go down the path of shimming it, but would like to read up a bit on this first before I tear into mine.

TIA

I always check indicator mounting by lightly pushing body of the indicator, the dial will move. It should return to the same point on the scale when pushing and releasing in various directions. If it does not repeat within about one division on the scale then I tighten clamps and start looking for dirt or burs on surfaces or the stiffness of what its mounted to. Sometimes just shifting the base a little or using a different style will solve the problem. The force it takes to move the body should also be significantly higher than the force it takes to retract the indicator point.
Some lathes have a sheet metal backsplash that would be strong enough, I do not know about your model.

Do you also have an 1130V by chance? Regardless, would be very interested in seeing a writeup if you did one.
I figured I would have to go down the path of shimming it, but would like to read up a bit on this first before I tear into mine.

TIA
Sorry, I just have an old 7x12 benchtop lathe.

I actually went through quite a process to address issues with my tailstock, doing some milling on both the base and top piece. Shimming to correct the nod (and height) was the last step in the process. I describe the work Here, about halfway down the page, blog entry for March 24 2017. My work was inspired by a project I found at this web site. A little less-ambitious tailstock-improving project can be found here.

Back