[Newbie] Very Basic Cross Slide Vs Compound Slide

I have a 3 scale DRO on my lathe, Z and the compound can be summed or displayed independently. I dial the compound to be parallel to the Z axis. The carriage probably weighs 5 or 6 hundred pounds so carriage travel isn't going to get you very accurate working to a shoulder. I get close with the carriage, kick out the power feed then dial the last few thou with the compound. Works flawlessly.

Greg

Short blunt tapers, threading in-feed*, I use the topslide, for accurate Z-movements I use the gauge tray and micrometer stop (it's a dead stop, and the feed trips when it hits it, very useful as I can leave a long, fine cut running and it pops out where the stop's set), for less accurate Z-movements I use the Trav-A-Dial which measures in thou" - and accurate X-movements I use the cross-slide micrometer stops and gauge blocks, also a feed trip at a dead stop so it stops in the same place every time (within a few tenths). inaccurate X-movements I use the cross-feed dial. Long fine tapers (max' 16"), I use the taper attachment - for 90-degree included tapers I engage both feeds, or 90 (included) +/- a bit I use taper attachment and both feeds :) I *like* old toolroom lathes!

Dave H. (the other one)

* the cross-slide has a 5/8" movement on a quick-retract lever that repeats within a few tenths, so I don't have all the faffing about winding the cross-slide handle out and back to clear the thread - there are plans about for both cross-slide and toolpost quick retracts, either makes threading a joy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back