Vertical slides on lathes, possible solution to flexing/chatter

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Like many of us on here I use a vertical slide on my lathe for milling and so far have always been restricted to shallow cuts due to chatter and vibrations.
You tube gave me this suggestion the other day and I really like the idea so will give this a go (when I have some time) See what you think.
I found a couple of tips/ideas from the well constructed video.

Like many of us on here I use a vertical slide on my lathe for milling and so far have always been restricted to shallow cuts due to chatter and vibrations.
You tube gave me this suggestion the other day and I really like the idea so will give this a go (when I have some time) See what you think.
I found a couple of tips/ideas from the well constructed video.
I was skeptical at first, but when I saw the finished product it seemed like an improvement if not a lot of work.

Now is it just me or does all of Europe forego bandsaws in favor of angle grinders?

I was skeptical at first, but when I saw the finished product it seemed like an improvement if not a lot of work.

Now is it just me or does all of Europe forego bandsaws in favor of angle grinders?
Like many machine tools, the cheapy HF horizontal bandsaws that most people in the US seem to trip over when clearing out their garages, are quite expensive east of the Atlantic and thus less common. ;)

That combined, with the lower familiarity with metalworking specific machine tools in UK and Europe means many will use angle grinders (which people are more familiar with).

I use angle saws for all my cutting
edit...I should have said grinders

Last edited:
Like many machine tools, the cheapy HF horizontal bandsaws that most people in the US seem to trip over when clearing out their garages, are quite expensive east of the Atlantic and thus less common. ;)

That combined, with the lower familiarity with metalworking specific machine tools in UK and Europe means many will use angle grinders (which people are more familiar with).
I couldn’t do without a proper vertical band saw. Horizontal saws have their place, but the conversion units don’t do it for me at all.

I see Quinn using a converted portaband, so I’m thinking space is limited, but that type of setup and only being able to use one type of blade would bother me in the long run.

Angle grinders just seem noisy, dirty and inefficient to my way of thinking.

I've just finished a drawing of a table that can be securely held in the vice of my 5" benchtop horizontal bandsaw with the saw arm vertical. Just need to get my fabricator mate to knock it up for me (don't have welding facilities here yet).

Angle grinders just seem noisy, dirty and inefficient to my way of thinking.
Your thinking is entirely correct. ;)

I would love a band saw of some type and a vertical mill and a shaper and a plasma cutter and a larger lathe but at 75 it just aint gunna happen so angle grinder it is.
I could not have made a quarter of the stuff I have without my trusty angle grinder.
$40.00 AU with full replacement 3 year warranty, cant go wrong.

Back