Vertical head for my Centec 2

Fortis64

Registered
Registered
I'm in the middle of trying to build a vertical head for my centec2 horizontal mill. My question is ... I'm trying to decide weither to go with er32 or mt2 (which is the taper on the centec spindle ) on the heads spindle . I've been told if I use er32 that using straight shanked tooling like a fly cutter for instance won't be as rigid . What's your advice/thoughts .I like the idea of the er32 for the spindle, I'll be able to use bigger end mills (1/2" is the max for mt2) , less hangout than if I use the er32 holder in the mt2 .

Sean

Because of the tooling I already have is mt2 and er32

Sean

oh....then go with the mt2
It's a small machine and you won't be taking large cuts anyway.

You should be ok with them as long as you take light cuts.

That no. 2 MT is not going to handle that 2"(50mm) face mill easily. If you're building a spindle, make it at least a no. 3 MT or a R-8 if you are wanting to use that size face mill.

I've got a Clausing 8520 mill which has a 2MT spindle. It handles a flycutter at a 2" radius just fine, or a boring head just fine, but I would be hard pressed to try a 2" face mill in it, and for a couple of reasons.

1. Power. My mill has a 3/4 HP motor on it, and that simply would not be enough grunt to handle a face mill that size while taking any kind of depth of cut except for very light cuts.

2. Rigidity. I do not think that my mill would be rigid enough for a serious cut with that face mill. I have to take it easy when using a 1/2" end mill, and be sure to not over do it as it is. It takes a seriously rigid machine to handle those big cutters.

Centec did have a vertical head available for those machines, and it was quite robust. Despite that, I don't think a machine that size is designed or meant to handle a face mill of that size.

I've got a Clausing 8520 mill which has a 2MT spindle. It handles a flycutter at a 2" radius just fine, or a boring head just fine, but I would be hard pressed to try a 2" face mill in it, and for a couple of reasons.

1. Power. My mill has a 3/4 HP motor on it, and that simply would not be enough grunt to handle a face mill that size while taking any kind of depth of cut except for very light cuts.

2. Rigidity. I do not think that my mill would be rigid enough for a serious cut with that face mill. I have to take it easy when using a 1/2" end mill, and be sure to not over do it as it is. It takes a seriously rigid machine to handle those big cutters.

Centec did have a vertical head available for those machines, and it was quite robust. Despite that, I don't think a machine that size is designed or meant to handle a face mill of that size.

Thanks for you input ,I've been using 1/2" roughing and normal end mills taking reasonable cut with no problems till now .The Centec is surprisingly rigid for it's size . The 50mm face mill will only be used for cleaning up larger bits of steel and some cast iron I have,I'm not looking to break any records . And as my late father you to say "handy to have suppose I never use it ":D.

Regarding the Centecs vertical head ,your right they are available but at premium prices which I'm not prepared to pay . Anyways more fun to try and make my own :eagerness:.

So which potentially is the more rigid setup if the spindle has ...MT2 vs ER32

Sean

Sean, I would be willing to bet that the MT2 setup would be more rigid than the ER32 collets simply because the ER32 collets themselves are so short. MT2 collets only go up to 1/2" in diameter, but have a longer gripping surface inside the collet.

On my machine, I no longer use collets for holding cutting tools, but instead have a series of MT2 end mill holders. I purchase single ended end mills with Weldon shanks that fit into the holders and are retained through the use of socket head set screws. My boring head also has an MT2 shank, as do my drill chucks that fit the mill. I also have a 1" stub arbor with an MT2 shank for using horizontal milling cutters and slitting saws. Since I recently acquired a horizontal mill, I will not need the stub arbor for the most part, but will not give it up either, as they are hard to find. The one I have came from RDG Tools in the British Isles, so you may have an easier time getting your hands on one than I did.

Back