Vertical Bandsaw Help

Before I got a vertical, I'd have been all over that. IMO, it's a steal at $750 assuming it's in good, running shape. Run, don't walk. Hell, if it were local I might be all over it today. A lot depends on location - some places seem to have an endless selection of premium 'old iron' to choose from. I've never lived in any of those places... In my experience, that's a sweet deal unless the owner is hiding some giant flaw.

GsT

I assume because your are thinking about it you really do need a vertical. I was doing the same and hated wrestling with my horizontal stood up vertical. There were several 14” verticals with several in sad shape for cheap. The old American ones were expensive even clapped out were way more but I found a HF that had been through several(not very smart) hands and wanted $50 for it. It’s all cast iron and essentially the same as Delta/Rockwell and there are tons of cheap parts out there as this was by far the most popular vertical bandsaw ever made. I did a double reduction belt and it’s the perfect fit for my overstuffed garage. I wish I had the space for something like the Startrite or a Grob but I love my lo$$ HF for what I do.

I talked to the owner. A nice man retiring and selling off his home shop. He's had the saw for 10 years, says it runs great, and will demo it for me. He never tried the welder, so he can't speak to it. I brought up the $500 price on his previous ad, and he said it was a mistake but would take $700. I told him we had a deal and I'd arrange a trailer and pickup date - hopefully in the morning before the rain comes.

Good job ! Time to buy it is when you see it ! :encourage:

I have and use a WEN three wheel saw, I have some trouble with Tracking, the tires on the wheels are worn out, glued on, (dried rubber) (I'd dearly love to find something that would replace them) but it does what I want it to. Now and then the blade runs off one of the wheels and scares the stuffing out of me, BANG, but for 70 Euros I can't complain. It does have three speeds, the slow speed (number forgotten) seems a bit fast for steel, but the two faster speeds make me thing the saw's going to fly across the shop. I can and have sawn 5" thick hardwood (Golden Rain Tree) with it, the throat is plenty wide, perhaps 13 inches...

I have and use a WEN three wheel saw, I have some trouble with Tracking, the tires on the wheels are worn out, glued on, (dried rubber) (I'd dearly love to find something that would replace them) but it does what I want it to. Now and then the blade runs off one of the wheels and scares the stuffing out of me, BANG, but for 70 Euros I can't complain. It does have three speeds, the slow speed (number forgotten) seems a bit fast for steel, but the two faster speeds make me thing the saw's going to fly across the shop. I can and have sawn 5" thick hardwood (Golden Rain Tree) with it, the throat is plenty wide, perhaps 13 inches...
If it doesn't perform as advertised, we may have to renegotiate. He said the band has only come off the wheels a few times since he's had it, and it isn't a problem. Anyway, I'm committed, at least for $125, to the drop deck trailer rental. I'm picking it up Thursday morning - if the crick don't rise.

Some manufacturers have made combination wood/metal saws for the consumer market. Jet is the only one I know of currently making them. They do turn up on CL or FB from time to time.
Check out the grizzly g0640x metal/wood saw

it has vfd along with switchable belt drive hi/lo range

This just popped up on CL. Probably too far for you, just an example.

1708443265583.png

That would work, but it's way too far a drive. Thanks for looking out!
You have to check all the listings, they won't always say it's metal cutting in the title.

Back