Vehicle circulation water pump housing built, need advice.

Thanks for the suggestions, i'm in europe, no chevy or prius in junk yards here and more to the point its all about the challenge to build something from nothing.

I started on the pump housing, one of the more difficult thing was drilling this sideways hole, the plan is to have weld on the side port and to make the entry port bolt in with an o ring, i need to buy a bigger drill to enlarge the side port, more to come.
DSC_0006.JPG

The inlet should be toward the center of the impeller the outlet on the circumference. This type of pump is not positive displacement it only increases the speed of the medium (water, air, oil, etc) to develop pressure at the outlet. Look at a auto motor, washing machine or boat motor pump the liquid enters at or near the center of the impeller & exits at the circumference.

fixit

The pump i'm using is from an car engine, peticualy peugeot TU3 engine, and the housing is design like you've described it, and i plan to copy it, in steel, i want to experiment with aluminium casting, so i may try casting a blank and try machining it later.

It sounds like you are creating or repairing a heating system for an rv.

There are common parts off the shelf for this but likely expensive.

Other options could be to look for and use or modify a pump from household heating system that uses piped water for heat.

HP of motor is usually small so inverter would allow simple and clean installation as the unit is designed for continuous duty over long service life and should be easy to find and or order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

tq60, is for webasto heating system, it uses diesel fuel and very little electricity to heat up the engine and entire coolant system on diesel vehicles, and this pump will be a permanent part of the cooling system which means all day when the car is running is at 90 degree centigrade, and i don't want to have overheating issues because of failure at the pump, if i use an household pump and inverter it will drain my battery, so no matter how hot the engine is ill want be able to turn it over.

In the us those are common on high end motor homes so parts are readily available.

But cost $$$ because they can.

Using an inverter will not be battery issue but the motor will.

Current inverters have very low overhead meaning watts out to the load is almost same as watts in from battery.

Difference of small percent.

So you can make a device that takes up lots of space and due to "home engineering" will likely be less efficient than a purpose designed unit or you could buy the specific designed part for RV for easy plug and play or you could look at home use devices.

One could add a specific function battery as well as properly sizing the inverter as the motor size would be small.

For this application forget about power losses as whatever is used will eat the capacity of the battery.

Look for a "system" that pumps the required amount of water that will handle the operating conditions that uses the least amount of energy at whatever supply voltage is available then build the power supply.

This is very old school stuff.

Look at irv2.com which is a site for rv folks and you can search there for additional information for your system as they are common items.

Last place to look would be rv salvage.

Read above again...

When engine is running the engine pump should handle flow so overheat should not be issue.

And alternator operating so no reasonable limit related to power consumption.

Only concern is when parked and that can be solved by simple and proper design.
Ko

tq60, i appreciate all the advices, i'm in macedonia here we do not have RVs at all, the webasto heater is used on cold mornings to preheat the engine and insides, and if the weather is too cold, it allows you to have heating without running the engine, here is a link, this is not my video, but shows the same unit i have, but i'm missing the circulation pump:
as for the car battery is only 66 ah from which the glow plugs and starter motor need all of them to overcome the 23,5 bar per cylinder compression.

You will need additional battery for the pump system.

Winter is coming so i need to make this pump and install this unit in my car, so after braking the 4th drill bit i decided that isn't going to work, looked around for a big enough piece of aluminium but could not find, so decided i'll try melting and pouring my own piece, made a mold from steel and try to melt down in my makeshift furnace without any success switched around couple of burners it will not melt, then i put the pot on a propane stove and used my mapp gas torch it will melt down the pieces but will not stay liquid, then i put the pot in my home heating furnace fill it up with coal but couldn't get it hot enough without boiling the water in the system so i gave up, and started to look around the shop for a piece that i can make it work i found this old wheel stub axle from some heavy equipment and started to machine it, it seems to be a soft material and cuts pretty nice i first finished the back side for the pump complete with the inlet port, then i turned around and made one clean up pass to get rid of the rust, then parted off the excess and face it, today i ran out of time, tomorrow i'll drill the inside and bore it out to final size then i need to drill and weld the side port.
DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0017.JPG DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0021.JPG DSC_0027.JPG

Back