Variable or constant torque VFD for a 3 p Baldor grinder?

Power up the VFD, it should initially show the output voltage which is 220V, then after 2 seconds display the frequency set point. So you are seeing the frequency set point, assume it shows 5.00. You press the MODE button to cycle through the different display modes, see P4-5. At the frequency display screen it will show up as 5.00 at 5Hz, 60.00 at 60Hz. If you want to change it using the default setting which is from the keypad, do a short press on the ENT key to access each digit, use the UP and DOWN key to change that digit, then press do a short press of the ENT key to confirm the entry and move (shift) to the next digit. This sets each digit of the parameter. If you want 60.00 Hz, press four short ENT key pushes until you are at the tens digits, then press the up key till you reach 6, so the display reads 60.00. Press and HOLD the ENT hey to confirm any changes. To exist the program and confirm that entry, usually just press and hold the ENT key for a few seconds. Pressing the ENT key for more than a few seconds brings you back to the previous menu level and confims the change. If this is not done the change will not be entered into memory, sand will not stick. This is outlined on Page 4-7.

You will also need to program the parameters below as a starting point, PRESS the Mode Key until you see the 00-01 programming display, and press the ENT key. Use the UP DOWN key to select the number for each digit of the programming parameter you want to change, then press ENT to move to the next digit. When the you have reached the parameter to modify, hold the ENT key for more than 2 seconds and then modify the parameter value, when done entering each digit press and hold the ENT key to bring you back out to the next menu up. You must press and HOLD the ENT key for a setting to be entered once you have changed the digit(s) for that parameter. A short press of the ENT is to shift to the next digit to change.

Group 00- The basic parameters group
Setting
00-05 Main Frequency Source Selection CHANGE THIS PARAMETER TO "1" : Potentiometer on Keypad
00-14 Acceleration Time I WOULD RECOMMEND SETTING THIS TO 5.0 seconds
00-15 Deceleration Time I WOULD RECOMMEND SETTING THIS TO 5.0 seconds

Group 02- Motor parameters
Setting
02-00 Motor No Load Current - factory default
02-01 Motor Rated Current SET TO YOU MOTOR CURRENT _ _ . _ A
02-02 Motor rated Slip- factory default
02-03 Motor Rated Speed SET TO YOUR MOTOR RATED RPM _ _ _ _
02-04
Motor Rated Voltage SET TO YOUR MOTOR RATED VOLTAGE _ _ _ . _ V

Group 11: Auxiliary Parameters
11-01 Carrier Frequency (kHz), I would set to 8 Khz, default is 5.

If you are unclear on any of the parameters, let me know or PM me and I can give you some recommendations.
Mark

Attachments

• L510_startup_manual.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks Mark,

One immediate question. If I set the frequency to 60hz, does that mean when I turn on the VFD it will automatically ramp up the motor to full speed?

Or does it mean,the frequemcy will be in the range of 5 to 60. 5 ( the current factory default setting of 5) to 60 Hz - adjustable with the pot as I need?

Going out to the shop now to look for the settings you suggested.

Thanks
Glenn

Last edited:
Hi Glenn

If you set the speed to 60.00 Hz, it replaces the 5.00 Hz setting, yes it will ramp up to 60Hz when you hit run.. When you turn it on it will ramp up to 60Hz over the acceleration time, and stop on the deceleration time. If you cahnge 00-05 to 1 then the speed pot on the panel will be variable from the minimum to the maximum Hz values you enter. So by default, this would be 0-60Hz or 0-100%. It is also possible to set the minimum to say 30Hz and the maximum to 80 Hz, and in that case the speed pot would adjust between these ranges. Max. Frequency is set with 01-02, min. Frequency with 01-08.

Mark

Make sure you don't exceed the maximum RPM that the grinding wheels are rated for.

Mark, I set all the parameters to the values you suggested, and Wa-la! Like magic, the grinder turned up to full speed. runs sweet! Actually, I didn't need to change the 5 Hz to 60. Somehow that corrected itself after I punched in the motor values.

Clueless: the motor is running at 1800 rpm, and the wheels are rated for much higher, so good to go there

thank you!

Glenn

Hi all, one more question - about installing a simple remote on/off switch. I ordered a two wire paddle on/off switch on line, but don't understand what function the 'com' port plays in activating the switch.

The TECO manual says to wire the 'on' side of the switch to the S1 port. Then wire the other side of the switch to "com".

What exactly is this"com"? It looks like the negative side of a 12 v circuit. But why call it 'com'?

Thanks
Glenn

Back