Bwkemmer

Registered
Registered
Sorry, I'm a little slow at getting this post up. With harvest season at hand, some things just get put on the back burner. So anyways, while having coffee one morning I ran across an email from kbid about a machine shop that was auctioning off a few machines. Scrolling through the list I noticed things were going quite cheap. One of those goodies just happened to be a Van Norman 38m universal milling machine. Not really being in the market for another machine I decided that I wouldn't let it go for free so I put a few bids in and low-n-behold I purchased myself a milling machine. (What I kinda failed to do was a bit of research on how big this machine was.) But either way I had to get it now. image.jpeg image.jpeg
So I hired a rigger, got it loaded and chained down, and got it home. Not gonna lie, it was a bit nerve wracking hauling it 250 miles, (I don't recall moving the last machines being that bad, and they weren't nearly as secure as this one was chained down.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
It came with a few pieces of tooling
image.jpeg
Here I finally made it home, And all in one piece image.jpeg
It does have a few scars
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Comes with a pretty decent dividing head with the gears Seems to be pretty tight, nit too much for backlash image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Some healthy cutters ad end ill holders 3/4"-2"image.jpeg
Getting to be time for another toolbox with a bigger top image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Brady, MN

Last edited:
I think she is BEAUTIFUL , really super machine , I'm envious wishing I could afford or have room for it. I think I'd try to cut out some of that jagged area and try building it up with brazing then I'd hand machine it till smooth . Just so no extra damage happens. YUPP I'd love an old van Norman . When I found them I couldn't get to them . My luck. Good luck with your new baby .

Brady,
Just like we talked about, if you still want assist, then let me know if/when you want me to make the trip to your place to help set up and help you figure it out.
As always I don't have the answers but I won't mind drooling on the table.

Daryl
MN

I will say I am quite fortunate to have a shop and a large forklift at my disposal to do this stuff for now. image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Not gonna lie. I ask a lot out of this forklift.
image.jpeg
This'll have to work for now. Little bit cozy in there.

Brady, that's an awesome looking mill. Sometimes the best deals are the big machines because people don't want to do all the work to get them home, so they go cheap at auctions. Must have been all your forklift could manage to move it. Do you know what it weighs?
Cheers
Martin

Martin, according to the original sales paperwork it weighs somewhere between 6700-7300#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back