Vactra or Vacouline way oil?

I ran into the same issue with my mini mill and vactra 2. I'm not certain if other issues will present themselves but I just stated using bar & chain oil from home depot on my z axis. I have been pleasantly surprised with how well it sticks even with a few days between uses.

In all of this, remember that one of the main purposes for using way oil is to stop stick-slip. Stick slip ruins work and machines. Because of that need, I would not be likely to mix random oils hoping it might be an improvement overall compared to the straight factory way oils. It is not just a matter of stickiness and lubrication.

It seems that the real question is whether the differences between way oils are significant enough to matter.
If a person buys a quality lubricant and uses it, how much bed wear are they really going
to experience in a few years of hobby usage?

This reminds me of the threads on automotive forums where the relative merits of motor oils are endlessly debated,
when really, all you need to do is change it.

Does it make me a bad person if i use bar and chain oil to lube my machines?

Does it make me a bad person if i use bar and chain oil to lube my machines?
Absolutely not! Especially if the machines you use it on are chainsaws! As Bob stated above, tho- It is not about 'sticky or clingy' as much as it is about avoiding 'stick/slip'. A microscopic layer of oil is all that is required, and Vactra #2 has been specified by manufacturers for decades. I will stick with them, no pun intended. Well, maybe a little:big grin:

Having used both, there is a noticeable difference between the two, the 1409 does stick better and seems to last longer before needing reapplication. There is also certain applications were way oil is used in the carriage oil box, 1409 is also rated as a gear oil. It is also desirable to have a tacky oil for slow turning gears that are only partially submerged in the oil bath (i.e. w/o splash lubrication). It would take many years of hard use to see if there is any discernible difference in wear. High production lathe/mill would be a different story.

I retired from a company that has a huge machine shop I'm talking 10 manual lathes from 14-60 inch plus several cnc lathes and mills. All they used was iso 68 hydraulic oil . It's cheap readily available and works great. I think some of you guys are over thinking the way oil issue. Use what works.
I know I'll get some flak over this but so be it.

Back