V block to mount in toolpost

Hi Jeff, Yes I have a QCTP and also a four way. The lathe is a Clarke CL300M otherwise known as a Siege c2. 300mm between centres 180mm over bed. zero - 3000rpm with uprated motor.

180mm is just over 7" ( for the non metric folks). Have a friend with a welder? Whatever your maximum width bar you can fit in your tool holder, use that for mounting. Use a piece of angle iron 1-1/2" on each leg and have nuts welded on each end. Use a strap to tighten the part in the V. If the part is shorter than the depth of the V, place a small piece of flat bar under the strap to hold it in place.

Jeffv block.png

v block.png

Jeff, I can see the value of using the cross slide, but at the same time I am not sure what you mean about the crotch center and the taper. If the taper slips it is still in the right location " center". Am I missing something?

Jeff, I can see the value of using the cross slide, but at the same time I am not sure what you mean about the crotch center and the taper. If the taper slips it is still in the right location " center". Am I missing something?

New "improved" paint drawing.

v block.png

The green out line on the right is quick attach tool holder. The square ( or rectangular) bar is welded to the angle iron. The red is the nuts welded to the angle. Purple is the part to be drilled, blue is the strap to hold the part in place with the yellow bolts.

Does that make more sense?

v block.png

Sorry, what I was asking about was the crotch holder in the tail stock. I can see the use for the angle iron in the tool holder and it should work well as long as you are not too aggressive.

If you aren't doing a lot of cross drilling, the QCTP round boring holder does fine to hold a arbor and chuck to be turned with a drill motor. I suppose if you need more frequent use a bushing or bearing could be fitted.

Steve

If you aren't doing a lot of cross drilling, the QCTP round boring holder does fine to hold a arbor and chuck to be turned with a drill motor. I suppose if you need more frequent use a bushing or bearing could be fitted.

Steve
Hi Steve,

I've actually found the source of a kit to do exactly what I need here in the Uk from hemingwaykits.com..... their crossdrill jig . This is a component/ parts package for use on a Myford lathe which fortunately seems compatible with my compound/crossslide. Being only £27 for the entire kit its actually cheaper here than buying the metal. It will require some maching and of course assembly so when it arrives over the next week and ive saved the beer tokens by assembling it. i'll post the results

start with a simple piece of angle iron about 4 inches long.(sized to fit your lathe) Drill a few holes in it and mount it to the tool post with two bolts and T nuts. Now measure as best as you can and drill holes to mount a standard V block on the face of the angle iron.(On center) Now drill the holes oversized so you have some slop. Loosly bolt the V block onto the angle iron with 2 bolts and washers. Now center the V block by pushing it up against the tail stock cylinder. (entended a few inches) that will center the v block. now tighten the bolts and you have a v block to cross drill with.
PS You can get V blocks pretty cheep on E BAY. Just make sure they have threaded holes in the back.

Back