V belt help please.

Sparkynutz

Registered
Registered
I've been searching for hours and obviously using the wrong terms coming up empty handed.
I bought a new to me 5 speed menards drill press made in 1985 with a K27 belt on it.
I haven't found a manual for it either.
I will be installing a center step pulley like most 15spd drill presses have mainly to get a lower speed for metal use.
All the v belt charts and cross references I've found don't show metric size belts.
Does anyone know from experience what type belt would be close enough to work? Size A? M?
Same with a step pulley. finding an inexpensive standard step pulley is much easier than metric. The ones I've found state metric bore but not belt size or type.
Any help would be great.
The stock motor pulley is 14mm bore and the other side is a taper pulley so finding a larger one to fit that taper will most likely be harder and more expensive than adding an extra reducing pulley between the two.

Measure the pulley groove at the top it will be either 3/8" width (3L series) or 1/2" (A or 4L series)
then use a piece of rope to find the nearest length in inches
Stick with inch measurements, it's easier

While not a drill press, I have a few machines, some I have built, that use a small 5M series belt. There are also 3M and 7M series belts. They are metric belts and may or may not be what your machine uses. The 5M (ie. 5M710) is a fuzz over 3/16 over the back, a 7M is a fuzz over 1/4. The numbers following are the length in millimeters. They are true 60 degree belts, convenient as I can cut a sheave with a threading tool. The belts are a standard Gates product. They are not general purpose belts, though they should be. They usually have to be ordered, I am in an (ex)industrial town with well stocked supply houses.

There are larger sizes, but often get into "poly-V" belts when they get large. As such, may be harder to find. They have a surprisingly heavy torque capability, and soft enough to fit small sheaves. I have never broken one, but have rolled a few from poor workmanship.

I just did what you are about to do with my old Delta drill press. I used the link belts and they worked great although kind of expensive. I used the 1/2" belt but they are available in 3/8" also. I got the 1/2" at HF which is the only size they stock at the stores.

Attachments

• 61E74378-27A8-4B11-9938-37028AF99321.jpeg
    61E74378-27A8-4B11-9938-37028AF99321.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 106
Back