Utilathe headstock disassembly

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hardly anyone posts here, but hopping someone will look at this forum and have an answer...

I have a 1950 SM Utilathe, (12x48 gear head) with noisy and worn low speed gears in the headstock. The worst offenders run the lathe at 65, 100, 150, and 250 RPM. So basically all the HSS cutting gears.

I am thinking about changing out these gears to improve extend the life of the lathe.

I've previously taken the lid off the headstock and removed the drive shaft bearings. However could not get the shaft/gear assembly out of the headstock casting. The length of the shaft does not allow the assembly to be pulled out the top with the gears attached.

So, how exactly does one pull these gears off the shaft with no room to work inside the headstock??

Thanks
Glenn

Glenn Have you tried contacting SM its now called Racer Machinery and is in Cambridge Ont. 1-888-514 1661. I have dealt with these boys before and there pretty good. Dave

Thanks for tip and phone number! Yes, I've spoken with them last year. bought a threaded internally keyed stud gear to drive the saddle off from the lead screw. Tiny thing, but $400 USD. critical part, so no other choice. They made it up and mailed it me in three or four days. Very responsive.

Iam thinking of calling them for prices on the gears, but expect severe sticker shock... might try OTC parts from a local bearing and gear supplier, or take a stab at making them myself once I get my Van Norman mill back in service.

Glenn

Sticker shock is right , I bought a cross slide nut 97.00 The Tap to make one was 90.00. What are you going to do, like you said ya gotta have it. Dave

I just saw this post here and had to laugh a little. Before I got my 11x20 Utilathe I was aware that is was missing a few things and I got ahold of Standard Modern in Ontario (Racer Machinery International) and got a quote on the tail piece locking handle, stud and wedge and was floored to see a quote for $224!!! I politely declined and had mine made by the guy I bought the lathe from for $15.

I got my sticker shock for a thread dial worm gear. $285USD.
My nephew is seeing if he can get one made for me in the shop where he works.

Last edited:
I just posted about looking for a tumbler reverse bracket. $480 freshly made. Too steep for me. I can invest in a lot of time to try to make my own for that price.

Back