1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Using the Cross Slide for Threading

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by ddickey, Aug 28, 2017.

1. ddickey

ddickey United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Red Wing
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

I need to cut 1/2-20.
    If I just used the cross slide what would the outcome look like?
    I've read it's okay to use the cross slide on some fine threads.
    Does 20tpi qualify?

2. benmychree

benmychree United States John York H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Saint Helena
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Why would you want to use only the cross slide, if in fact you have a compound rest; the result of using only the cross slide is that the tool cuts on both sides using this plunge cut method; what happens is that the two chip streams converge at the point, interfering with each other and causing galling in the cut and a very unpleasant looking finish on the flanks of the thread. An advantage to using the compound for feeding is that you zero the cross slide on every cut and do your successive cuts by feeding the compound in, with no numbers to memorize for each new cut. Some folks like to compute the distance the compound is fed in to size the thread, or use the figures on the "fish tail" thread gage; this may work in an perfect universe and with sharp vee threads, but if you use a flat on your threading tools, it does not. Best is a thread mike, and the tables published in machinist's handbooks, but for me, a thread ring gage or a nut that has had a tap run through it is all that is necessary to insure a good thread fit for most purposes.
    Lastly, I think, no, 20tpi is not fine enough to plunge in straight, and personally, I would not recommend it for any threading.

3. shooter123456

shooter123456 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Cary
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

It will probably depend a lot on your lathe, the material you are cutting, and the tool you are using. If you are using a 2000 lb lathe with a razor sharp HSS tool to cut aluminum, you will probably get good results. If you have a 7x12 with a poorly ground HSS or the wrong kind of carbide trying to cut 4140 or 304 stainless, it will not go well.

I have gotten by just locking the compound and using the cross slide, but it tends to go better using the compound.

brino and mikey like this.
  4. mikey

mikey Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Honolulu
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

Both ways work, in my experience. I cut clean threads on my Sherline lathe for years, including 20 tpi, with a straight in feed with the cross slide (it has no compound). I can do the same with the compound on my larger lathe; I agree with Benmychree but I do know that both ways work. I use sharp, accurately ground HSS tools and cut much finer threads than 20 tpi with no real issues. You do need to take very small cuts as you progress but you'll do that anyway.

This is an M8-1.25 thread in 1144 steel cut with the cross slide on a Sherline lathe. Other than wire brushing the debris off, it is just as it comes off the lathe.

IMG_4830.jpg

5. ddickey

City:
    Red Wing
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Nice looking thread there Mike.
    I use a solid tool post and don't feel like setting it back up, that is really the only reason.
    If I can get threads to like that only using the cross slide I'm tempted.

Ulma Doctor and mikey like this.
  6. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

For one piece why not use a die to cut the thread.

7. george wilson

george wilson United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Williamsburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

You can make nice threads. Just take small cuts. A really good old machinist I used to know applied the top surface of his threading tools to the round,front edge of a bench grinder,making the whole top surface of his threading tools give the chips someplace to go,rather than just possibly bunching up on the threading cutter. The grind was flat all the way across the threading tool,and concave as seen from the side view.

Ulma Doctor and ddickey like this.
  8. ddickey

City:
    Red Wing
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Don't have one plus I want a class 3 thread, or at least I'll attempt it.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  9. mikey

City:
    Honolulu
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

As long as your tool is accurately ground and you can confirm that the tool is perpendicular to the work and on center then you should be fine.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  10. uncle harry

uncle harry United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Big Bend
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

Kieth Fenner of YOUTUBE fame has a video showing compound-only thread cutting. He uses a dial indicator to determine calculated or "look it up" thread depth. It worked very well for him and the video describes the method very well. I'll try to find it & if successful I'll post it on this thread.

Edit: Cross feed only, locked compound

I searched for about 15 min with no success. K. Fenner

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Ulma Doctor and BGHansen like this.
  11. ddickey

City:
    Red Wing
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Finished the threads. Imo they came out very nice.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Ulma Doctor, Cobra, mikey and 3 others like this.
  12. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

If you try to cut threads using the cross slide considerably coarser than 20 TPI, you will run into more problems. When cutting 20 TPI on one of our hobby lathes it is pretty easy to get decent results using the cross slide only. Benmychree is correct, however. Doing it with the compound is the correct way to cut threads and will give excellent results with a tool ground correctly. My own soft rule is to cut threads using the compound for any pitch coarser than 20 TPI.

13. GK1918

GK1918 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    No. Dighton
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Old school just ramblin again. Although both methods work But for perfect threads: In my 50yrs threading i use the compound. My secret which is no secret' first you need a crosslide stop, thats one more thing not to worry about. In
    my case one of my So.Bend long bed is the dedicated threading lathe. I use no wires no mic.(which I never use) I put the lathe in back gear and the belt on high speed. End of cut back out compound return to start wind in crosslide (to its stop)
    feed compound .005 or so by the time thats done and my number comes up, hit the half nut & away we go.. About the
    number or line on the dial. Forget it. On the setup after the TPI is set on the gear box = start it up and hit the half nut
    now backlass is gone -- shut the power - now is reset the thread dial and MARK it with a sharpie. (got it) release 1/2 nut
    return carriage to the begging then move cross slide to its thread stop turn lathe on move coumpoud until you touch off
    on the part.....stop and zero the coumpound -- now dial a scrach pass turning counpound .004 or so when the sharpie
    comes up hit the lever. thread age says OK. end of cut hit the lever !/2 nut: now if you did not cut a reliefe , end of cut,
    don't worry at that point , end of thread you hit the half nut-- let it run right there then retract the cross slide.
    When I see a peak at the top of the thread I stop and try a nut what ever then a no go a couple spring passes the usually
    little better so feed compound 2 or 3 check it another spring pass. then try the nut is going on but a little stiff. Old
    trick paint on valve grinding compond and I run the nut or female back and forth using a vise grip or something
    use gloves and a wood on the bed. Bear with me ain't a writer but I give you sir 15 minutes using my method ..
    Ok people new to this Please ya don't have to be policically correct or machine correct no wires no nothing. You
    need look listen and feel. Rule one after all is said as you get deeper you gotta take litghter coumpond cuts cause the tool is getting deeper. sam got F's in writing in school 60 yrs ago

14. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Keep on ramblin', Sam, you're doin' fine.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  15. Wreck™Wreck

Wreck™Wreck United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Riverton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

This is a screen shot from a canned threading cycle on a late 90's CNC lathe, eight parts that I ran this morning, 1 1/2"-12 internal thread 2 1/2" deep in 1018 steel.

You will notice the "Approach Angle" field is 29 1/2 Degrees as if threading from a compound. This is the default setting, I have found that this means little when making 1 or just a few parts per day, however it may help tool life when making 1000's of parts per day.

Many modern lathes have multiple options for approach angles when threading including alternating between the Z+ and Z- sides of the thread each pass.

A useful method of manually threading repetitive parts that I employ is to use the compound for controlling the diameter, advance it and leave it then retract the cross slide to clear when returning to the start. Return the CS to zero then advance the the compound for the next pass, this works very well on machines with an X axis DRO. One quickly grows weary of backing off the compound by the 50th part (-:

When threading on manual machines I use the cross slide only and have never had a problem in the last 30 years doing so. Having never used a hobby type machine I may be entirely wrong however.

Also very few manual lathes have a 3rd axis DRO for the compound, I dislike using hand dials.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  16. Ulma Doctor

Ulma Doctor Infinitely Curious Active Member

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

i have never cut threads with the crosslide.
    i was taught to use the compound @29.5*.
    i should try some crosslide threading to see the differences for myself.

i'm a little reticent before starting the process, that the method may not be ideal for 304 stainless steel, which galls terribly.
    but i'll give it a go!

darkzero and mikey like this.
  17. benmychree

benmychree United States John York H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Saint Helena
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

The common sort of threading dies seldom start correctly and result in A "drunken thread", one that wobbles. An automatic die, like a Geometric die does not do this, but if one wants a concentric , non wobbly thread, single pointing is the way to get it.

18. mikey

City:
    Honolulu
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

Mike, if you thread with a HSS tool, try using a 15 degree side relief for stainless. It should cut fine.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  19. Ulma Doctor

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

thanks Mikey, i'll give it a go at 15* side relief :)

mikey likes this.
  20. ddickey

City:
    Red Wing
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

I was using 416 SS. Probably nothing like 304 though.

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  21. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

What has gone unsaid in this thread is that the cross slide versus compound question is really all about keeping track of the depth of cut. When using the cross slide, what you see on the dial is the depth of cut. When using the compound, it is the cosine of the actual compound angle from the cross slide axis times the travel on the compound dial. It is easier to just use the cross slide, sometimes better to use the compound, best to know how to do both, and important to understand grinding threading tools that will work properly with the chosen method.

22. Ulma Doctor

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

i read somewhere that, at a compound angle of 30*, each .001" of travel on the compound is equivalent to .0005" of tool movement towards the work.
    so in essence you are moving the dial on the compound at half of indicated movement at a 30* compound angle

23. f350ca

f350ca Canada Active User Active Member

City:
    Calabogie
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

The tool is moving toward the chuck .0005 and 0.000866 toward the work Mike. Makes a big difference if threading to a shoulder.

Greg

royesses, Bob Korves and Ulma Doctor like this.
  24. Ulma Doctor

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

thanks for the clarification :)

25. Bamban

Bamban United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Austin
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

My Jet 1024 has been set up to chamber AR 223 barrels, meaning the compound has been set to bore the barrel to the same taper as the case/reamer before running the finishing reamer, and I don't want to reset compound back and forth. With that set up I thread with the cross slide. So far life is good, I thread with half nuts closed the whole time and use the full feature of the VFD and the proximity sensor, threading close to the shoulder with no thread relief.

The threads come out with nice finish. This picture of a thread adapter was the maiden run with cross slide, did not want to push to the shoulder, just enough for the internal thread relief in the muzzle break to clear.

Using this special order Thin Bit carbide threading insert I can thread real close the shoulder.

20170413_201656.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    4gsr and Ulma Doctor like this.
  26. bfd

bfd United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    nipomo
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

there is a thread that I have cut that requires using the cross slide the compound is set at 90 degrees so you can advance the tool bit 1/3 of the way around the thread I was cutting was a triple lead thread that I was cutting for an apprentice project so you had only the cross slide to advance the toolbit bill

brino and GDT17406 like this.
  27. Ulma Doctor

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

well for better or worse, here is the threading from the cross slide in delrin
    1.00" long threads, .750" OD x 18 TPI
    IMG_2688.JPG

darkzero, Bamban, Bob Korves and 2 others like this.
  28. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Looks like it worked Mike. :encourage:

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  29. Ulma Doctor

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

i'll feel a lot better after i try the 304.
    i cringe every time i thread it :eek:

JimDawson likes this.
  30. Ulma Doctor

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

i'm still working up to 304, but here is interrupted threads on a scrap aluminum shaft.
    the threads are .500 X 26tpi X 1.00" long

.500-26 tpi.jpg

brino, Bill Gruby, JimDawson and 3 others like this.