Using reciever hitch components on a table for versatility.

Rbeckett

Gold
Rest In Peace
A fairly quick, easy and cheap way to expand your shop work table is to use several reciever hitch tubes at each corner and along the sides. Simply weld the reciever tubes from Tractor Supply or your metal supplier to the bottom of your table and fab up several male type tubes with a plate welded to the top. You can drill the male tubes to accept a pin just like the reciever hitches and weld a nut on to take up any slack in the fit. Once you have several femal reciever tubes mounted around the perimeter of your bench you can use the plates for a bench grinder, a chop saw, a bending buck, a cutting grate, vices or pipe chain lock. Whatever you decide to use just mounts on a plate and hangs from the wall till you need that particular tool. This will save a bunch of wasted work space on you bench top and allow you to have a selection of tools readilly available wherever you need them to do the job. It will give you the ability to have multiple tools at your disposal without using the space to mount them till you decide what you need for each job. If anyone is interested I stole this idea from the Miller Projects forum and it is a great work space expander without having to build anothe dedicated table or two for all you occasional use tools. Need pics or a better description? If interested PM me and I will try to find the thread again and get permission to copy it here. If your out of room or building a work bench you might want to give this system some thought, it is slick as glass and works great too.

Bob

A fairly quick, easy and cheap way to expand your shop work table is to use several reciever hitch tubes at each corner and along the sides. Simply weld the reciever tubes from Tractor Supply or your metal supplier to the bottom of your table and fab up several male type tubes with a plate welded to the top. You can drill the male tubes to accept a pin just like the reciever hitches and weld a nut on to take up any slack in the fit. Once you have several femal reciever tubes mounted around the perimeter of your bench you can use the plates for a bench grinder, a chop saw, a bending buck, a cutting grate, vices or pipe chain lock. Whatever you decide to use just mounts on a plate and hangs from the wall till you need that particular tool. This will save a bunch of wasted work space on you bench top and allow you to have a selection of tools readilly available wherever you need them to do the job. It will give you the ability to have multiple tools at your disposal without using the space to mount them till you decide what you need for each job. If anyone is interested I stole this idea from the Miller Projects forum and it is a great work space expander without having to build anothe dedicated table or two for all you occasional use tools. Need pics or a better description? If interested PM me and I will try to find the thread again and get permission to copy it here. If your out of room or building a work bench you might want to give this system some thought, it is slick as glass and works great too.

Bob
pix would be nice,if you can-thanks

I've used that concept on a field service truck with great success. Very good idea. You can mount many things in a square receiver, and the cost is minimal due to the common nature of trailer hitches. Limited by your imagination. Great idea for space savings in a tight quartered shop.

Back