Using Mt1 Cutting Tools On Benchmaster Mill?

rlu

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone. I just purchased a used Benchmaster (BM) verticle mill from CL last week. My first milling machine. I also have what seem to be MT1 cutting tools in my procession. Understanding that BM uses MT2. My question is if there is a way to use MT1 cutting tools on BM and not sacrificing the vertical space.

Lu

Benchmaster mill has a drawbar for holding the arbors in place without falling out. The BM spindle probably does not have provision for the tang on a No. 2 Morse taper shank. So to use one of the adapters mentioned above, a person will have to cut off the tang and drill and tap for the thread needed for the draw bar. Once this is done you'll be able to use your Morse taper No. 1 arbors in the adapter.

If the Morse taper No. 1 arbors have a drawbar thread, be carful what you do here. I wouldn't recommend drawing up a No. 1 through a No. 2 adapter with the drawbar. You'll never get the adapter out of the spindle. Only the No. 1's will come loose!

Ken makes a good point. You would need several adapters, one for each piece of #1 taper tooling, each drilled and tapped for the drawbar, and sweated on the #1 shank permanently. I'd use silver solder so I could remove them later if desired. Of course, you may have more tooling than would be practical, so this is just food for thought.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your replies. Yes, I did some searching and found the MT2 to MT1 adapter with the tang on one end. Looking at this adapter, I initialing thinking that I may have to cut off the tang, drill the hole thru, then tap the hole with 3/8-16. But thinking that may not be possible because the adapter is already hardened material, so I may not be able to tap the thread.

Tony, soldering is an interesting thought. I have been soldering many things in the past. I have about 6 or 7 cutting tools...so may be not too bad cost wise.

4gsr, thanks for the warning about not able to get tooling out. Never thought about that.

Lu

Vise size, Stand?

More questions for newbie:

1) What is the right size vise? I read this vise may be the right size. I currently have a 4" craftsman but want to get a better one in the long run. Any recommendations? Is the one in the link too heavy for BM?

2) My newly purchased BM came with a stand. The base is made out of wood. It seem to be wobbly. May be I just need a new piece of good. What do you use for the base other than bolting it down to the floor?

3) What size clamping kit. I read from posting here that one should get Metric size but did not specified what size. Any recommendations?

Thanks again for all your help.

Lu

20121118_152014_resize.jpg 20121118_151911_resize.jpg 20121118_151919_resize.jpg

Last edited:
I would hazard a guess that the factory thought the base was sufficient without the wood, which I'd say a customer put on in disagreement with the factory. I believe removing the wood would seem to allow it to sit more firmly on a concrete floor, but like the previous owner, I suspect you'll find it a bit top-heavy and want something under it to stabilize it. Ideally, a piece of A36 plate would be great, since there are bolt holes in the machine base to mount it with, and it would stay with you, unlike a wood base extension. That's probably the course I would take.

Lu,

The vise you are asking about, 4" precision vise with swivel base from tools4cheap, would be a perfect size for your mill, it could be a little big with that swivel base. I'd suggest removing the swivel base to give you a little more "space" to work with on your mill. The Little Machine Shop has a 3" size that will work out,that you might want to check out, too.

Thanks Ken and Tony.

Ken, I will take a look at the Little Machine Shop for the vise.

Tony, I understand why previous owner put the put on the base...earthquakes. We have it often and I don't want this top heavy machine to top over. Thanks for the idea of getting a metal plate. I may have to do that.

Is the metal stand in the picture an OEM to this BM? The machine stands tall for me. The wood base added a little over 2" to the whole thing. The measurement from the ground to the bottom of the pan is 36.25".

Lu

Back