Using drill press to tap

I use the bungee as Jeff mentioned. I added a hook down on the leg of the workbench for the end of the bungee. I turn the chuck by hand, without the key as a tommy bar - forward and back a couple of times to get the thread started. Then I move to the vise and use the tap handle to thread by hand. Cutting oil is a must.

A tapping head would be nice, but that's lower down the list. A bench block is going on the project list right now, along with a thread plate.

I use the bungee as Jeff mentioned. I added a hook down on the leg of the workbench for the end of the bungee. I turn the chuck by hand, without the key as a tommy bar - forward and back a couple of times to get the thread started. Then I move to the vise and use the tap handle to thread by hand. Cutting oil is a must.

A tapping head would be nice, but that's lower down the list. A bench block is going on the project list right now, along with a thread plate.

I recently cut some threads on a new shift rod for my motorcycle on 5/16" blank thread rod. It wasn't too much of a pain, but getting it started straight was a bit of a challenge. Fortunately, I didn't have to thread too much on it and my Sears die worked well. I do plan on getting my tap guide and a die holder made soon, though, as I'm knee deep in giving my bike a makeover and will need to do some more threading. The lathe in general, though, is nice to have now for turning out some custom fit bushings.

I needed some bushings so I bought a lathe.:thinking:

Back