Useless tooling? Wasted money?

I would suggest Harold Hall's book Milling: a complete course. He starts simple with making your own tool and builds on that. The projects are well thought out and come from a hobbiests perspective. Some of his designs are simple and brilliant work around when you don't have the "proper" tooling. Also visit his website. There are tons of price at with drawings and instructions. http://www.homews.co.uk/
If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of his. I've enjoyed making several of his designs.

i'm of the mind that tools, materials, will and some skill can make just about anything you have the need for.
IMO, there is no wasted money spent on tooling- only greater capability comes from having more tools.
sometimes that unused tooling can possibly be bartered for other goods or services, unbeknownst at the time of acquisition.

i'm hardly the voice of reason- my name is Mike- i'm a toolaholic :oops:

I believe that with tools as with celestial bodies, there exists an issue of gravity; once you accumulate a sufficient mass of stuff, other stuff (in the form of tools and like things) will be attracted to your little piece of space; it has worked all too well for me ---

I believe that with tools as with celestial bodies, there exists an issue of gravity; once you accumulate a sufficient mass of stuff, other stuff (in the form of tools and like things) will be attracted to your little piece of space; it has worked all too well for me ---
Having seen your treasure trove, i can attest to your bountiful workshop!
i have felt the gravitational pull and it has affected me! ;)

Another 'Aye' for Harold Hall! He has put a lot of his designs-maybe all of it- on the web. I've made a bunch of work holding for my small Burke #4 as I don't have a vise small enuf for the little table. Mr. Hall's designs are a very nice improvement in the tooling department.

I would suggest Harold Hall's book Milling: a complete course. He starts simple with making your own tool and builds on that. The projects are well thought out and come from a hobbiests perspective. Some of his designs are simple and brilliant work around when you don't have the "proper" tooling. Also visit his website. There are tons of price at with drawings and instructions. http://www.homews.co.uk/
If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of his. I've enjoyed making several of his designs.

Thanks for that recommendation. I have been looking for something exactly like these books for a couple years to help me learn how to use and abuse my lathe. I just downloaded the Kindle version to read on the vacation I am leaving for in an hour.

My list of most needed to have with a mill. Vise bigger is better, hold down set bolts and clamps , parallel set. Drill bits up to 1/2" , endmills several sizes and types. Indicator set , mag base, fly cutter home mades fine. Square and vee block.
This should get you going add more as needed.

Back