Useful Lathe Accessories?

I will mention that if you have an Atlas lathe, which most people reading this Forum do, "Manual of Lathe Operations and Machinists Tables" (MOLO for short) produced by Atlas from 1937 to 1988 contains about the same information but the photographs used are of Atlas lathes like the one that you may have, not South Bend lathes with flat belts. Somewhat like the SB book, the photos changed over the years whereas the tables and charts generally didn't. Any information that includes spindle RPM will use speeds that your machine (at least as it was when new) can produce. For that reason if no other, you would be better off with the Atlas book of the proper vintage.

Years ago, I wrote two short "books" with file names of MOLO HistoryREV6.pdf and MOLO To Machine AppRev3.pdf . The second one will tell you which version of the MOLO comes the closest to matching your model of lathe and the first one among other things will tell you why. They are both in Downloads and in this Forum only are also in the Sticky area at the top of the Forum.

I do have a couple of dial indicators.....the ones with the post and nub on the end...….travels back into the dial unit itself. No, I don't know the correct terms for these instruments yet. What is a Fowler Extended Travel Indicator?
I've been looking at the dial indicators with the little flipper arm [ vs the kind I just described ], but I'm not sure when this type's use is indicated over the post and nub type. Clarification please anyone?

Cutting oils. I need to get some and some dispensing containers, like needle oilers perhaps? I do have a bottle of sulfur cutting fluid, but, it's got that big flip up tip on the cap that is rather large and non-accurate, as far as putting the oil just where it's needed on the work piece, goes.

I was referring to a Dial Test Indicator. These typically have a higher resolution and a smaller measuring range than your dial drop indicator that you described. I prefer them for their flexibility as they can be used to center on holes, align a milling vise, align stock in a lathe, measure flatness on a surface plate, precision edge find, and about a million more things that are difficult to do with another indicator.

Normal Dial Test Indicator

1584798801430.png

"Swiss Style" Dial Test Indicator (Note the built in stem and the extra dial on the face)

1584799341450.png

I have come to love the "Swiss Style" dial test indicators. These allow for multiple revolutions of the dial (double the travel of normal indicators) and have a sub-dial that counts the revolutions and direction. The also usually come with a swivel stem built in that makes them even more flexible. I own a Fowler X-Test .0005" test indicator (Link) and an Interapid .0001" test indicator (LINK). I got good deals on both used. I personally would pay more for this "Swiss Style" indicator if I needed to buy another.

For cutting fluids, I mostly use semi-synthetic coolant. It is very inexpensive (even if you end up buying a gallon of concentrate), doesn't rust if used correctly, dries off without making a mess, and can be washed off your parts. I also keep bottles of WD-40, tapping oil, Mobil Vactra #2 way oil, and Mobil DTE circulating hydraulic and gear oil for my lathe gearboxes. I also try to avoid using oil when cutting because smoke in my tiny basement workshop is a no-go.

For dispensing, I've settled on these needle bottles being the best thing ever. I use a needle size that keeps me from going too crazy with the amount of fluid I am using. They are also perfect for hitting ball oilers on machines.

If you want a milling attachment, get yourself an X-Y drill press vice, and 6" or so of 3/4"x3/4" or more steel bar. Drill a couple holes to mount the bar to the vice, and then a couple more on the sides to mount it onto the crosslide with T nuts. I used this method with a Harbor Freight vice that was way to large until I got my benchtop mill.

As has been said, wait until you have a need before getting stuff you may never really need. I have a larger lathe so may not appreciate the differences in "need." I've rarely used either the follow or steady. I have a good 5C collet chuck that I use quite a lot. A good extended nose live center is useful on my lathe. The first one I bought had too much run out, bought a better one. A bump type knurling tool came with my lathe, I don't think I'd use one on a small lathe. I bought a clamp type, works but is real sloppy. Need to remake it into something useful. HSS seems like it would be best on a low powered lathe. It is easy to grind whatever you need, cheap also.

Micrometer &/or digital caliper or both actually. When you get into measuring instruments, It gets difficult to make a recommendation. Cheap ones seem too likely to be frustrating. They may not repeat or may go by jumps, can you trust the measurement? Name brand stuff is expensive. A good indicator holder like a Noga with a base mounted fine adjust is a joy to use compared to all the fiddling that comes with the cheap ones.

The best accessory for a lathe is a milling machine.

Last edited:
I can attest to the difference between cheap and name brand.
I have an inexpensive 4" digital caliper that I use for quick measurements. I recently bought a used Mitutoyo 6" and the difference between the two is quite astounding. The Mitu feels solid and smooth whereas the other is light and is more fussy to use.
Likewise with mag bases. Bought a Noga PH2040 and it's in a completely different league compared to my import two-arm holder.

There is another hobby machinist that does milling on his small lathe, he is on youtube.
His youtube page is called Ades workshop.
He has a lot of informative videos on the lathe.
He is a happy chap with a lot of machining experience.
Happy to say I have learnt heaps from watching his video's.

Back