Use spindle sander as die filer?

misfitsailor

Swarf Tosser
Registered
Does anyone here use a spindle sander as a poor-man's die filer? It would be helpful to have something other than hand files, band saw and belt/disc sanders to clean up raw castings. I am not sure how long the sanding sleeves would last used against cast iron, especially if the castings are not annealed.

Basically you are just using an oscillating drum sander, correct?

Yes, Oscillating drum/spindle sander. I was curious how these hold up to castings before buying one.

Many years ago I worked at a shop that made cutting dies. We had small cylindrical grind stones mounted on a spindle that faced out. We'd do internal grinding with that. Then we'd use a mounted point in a hand-held grinder. Finally a buffing cylinder to clean it up. It was fairly quick and did a good job.

If you are talking about a industrial grade spindle sander then yes, I think it would hold up. If you are considering a cheap "big box store" version, I'd think not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can find a cheap used one at a good price try it. Nothing to lose. If it doesn't work well on cast. You'll find lots of other uses for it.

Back