Upper cylinder covers

Hi - The OD of these is about 2.35". I've thought about having the blanks cast so that I would only have to turn final inside and outside diameters on the lathe (each mic is different as wood shrinks, etc - and the ID and OD's have to match for a press fit and flush look) - but I haven't pursued it as I'm pretty sure it is uneconomical in the quantities I need, and I've been told that I can't get a mirror finish on cast aluminum. (If someone thinks I'm mistaken I would like to know!)

Hi - The OD of these is about 2.35". I've thought about having the blanks cast so that I would only have to turn final inside and outside diameters on the lathe (each mic is different as wood shrinks, etc - and the ID and OD's have to match for a press fit and flush look) - but I haven't pursued it as I'm pretty sure it is uneconomical in the quantities I need, and I've been told that I can't get a mirror finish on cast aluminum. (If someone thinks I'm mistaken I would like to know!)

I've seen cast aluminum that's been finished to a mirror finish, but I don't know enough about casting to comment other than I'd guess that the type of aluminum used would probably be a significant factor.

M

Back