Upgrade compound and gibs

David Kirtley

Active User
Registered
It has been too hot for working in the garage but I did see something new at LMS that I decided to get. They are now offering a replacement top for the compound that has t-slots.

480.4924.jpg

So far it seems to be a direct replacement. It gives a few more possibilities for tool mounting. I need to make a t-nut for the toolpost so I can mount it farther back when needed. Should give me quite a bit more room when turning bigger stuff and on the faceplate.

I also picked up the brass gib upgrade. Yeah, I could have made some but they would be such a pain to set up for machining. I installed the one for the compound when I put the new piece on but have not yet put it on the cross slide. I was just anxious to put on the compound but later, I imagine I will take it all down and see how things fit with some prussian blue and do some fine adjustments.

Sure wish they had one similar for the cross slide.

480.4924.jpg

I also have that topslide. I could be the one respnsible for it being available. I approached Chris Wood with the idea and he submitted it to SEIG.
I just finished making the leadscrew and am copying the aluminum support and Scale pieces. I would have cast a copy of the ball handle, but I broke down and ordered one from LMS along with T-nuts to fit it.
The idea being, I can swap one for the other without having to change over the rest of the parts. Even made a Gib strip out of brass for it, though it still has to be fitted.
I intend to use it for line boring on the lathe.

Chuck

I like the idea of being able to knock out some simple tool holders like Taig and Sherline use. I hadn't thought about the line boring with it as it is pretty high but after you mentioned it, it seems like a good idea to make some lead screw brackets and such.

On "my to do list" is a Speary Dividing Head, that I plan to drill, and line bore for the spindle on the t-slot compound. I also plan to mount either the origional tool holder or my OXA tool post on it, with the stud or using a T-nut.

Chuck

Back