Update on using sodium bisulfate for anodizing

eac67gt

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was big on using sodium bisulfate for anodizing. It worked great and was a bit safer than sulfuric acid. What I have discovered is the sodium bisulfate losses it's ph level real fast. I had to keep adding more to keep tank at proper ph. So now I finally gave in and switched to sulfuric acid. My setup is in my garage and in an area that it is not a hazard to use this acid. My big thing with using sodium bisulfate originally was too reduce the hazard. It is getting to costly to keep adding to keep ph level up.

It is my understanding that the sulfuric acid solution should be more reliable in maintaining ph level. Time will tell.
Have a great day!
Ed
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I was big on using sodium bisulfate for anodizing. It worked great and was a bit safer than sulfuric acid. What I have discovered is the sodium bisulfate losses it's ph level real fast. I had to keep adding more to keep tank at proper ph. So now I finally gave in and switched to sulfuric acid. My setup is in my garage and in an area that it is not a hazard to use this acid. My big thing with using sodium bisulfate originally was too reduce the hazard. It is getting to costly to keep adding to keep ph level up.

It is my understanding that the sulfuric acid solution should be more reliable in maintaining ph level. Time will tell.
Have a great day!
Ed

hi ed i'm very new to this program. i have been following these threads closely . now i'm at a stop now.can you describe the diffrence between the 2 solutions .now i need to know what the percentages are for the 2 solutions are and what is best

thanks Brian

Sorry for slow response.
I was using sodium bisulfate which is swimming pool ph negative or ph decreaser. It is a safer solution to anodize with but I have found it had its drawbacks. It loses its ph level pretty fast. If you are doing a little anodizing and then going to dispose of the solution quick it would be fine. The initial filling of you tank is cheaper but over a period of time it becomes more expensive.
I have switched to what most of the industry uses which is sulfuric acid. It can easily be had at your local auto parts store. It is just battery acid. I mixed it 50/50 with distilled water. It had shortened my time for anodizing and will be more stable in ph level over time. The drawback is you need to be easy more careful with it.

I hope this helped and once again sorry for slow response.

Any more questions, just shout.

Have a great day!

Ed

hi ed no need to worry about slow response because i haven't bought my chemicals, i bought the book by Ron Newman at the focueser, anyway all this info has been very helpful. i hopfully can get mine up and running soon.
thanks to everyone who has posted info i can't say how much it has been so helpful, thanks again.

Back