Update on 2 x 72 Belt Grinder Project

i am curious how everyone is getting their 3 phase power for this. id like to build one but dont have 3 phase available in my garage. i know they have converters but those look pretty steep. are there single phase motor option that anyone knows of?

i am curious how everyone is getting their 3 phase power for this. id like to build one but dont have 3 phase available in my garage. i know they have converters but those look pretty steep. are there single phase motor option that anyone knows of?

3-phase motors are driven by a VFD. There are generic imports available for ~$100. Brands with support (e.g., Automation Direct GS20) are about double, and there are plenty more-expensive options.

Single-phase motors are available but many people like the speed control possible with a 3-phase motor & VFD.

I used a KBC 27D 2 hp VFD on both my 2x72 belt grinder and my Bridgeport mill. I bought VFDs for each of them, but it would probably be possible to use one VFD with a switching mechanism. Both motors would need to have similar wiring requirements and be the same hp.

Attachments

• IMG_9552.JPG
    IMG_9552.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9143.JPG
    IMG_9143.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_9555.JPG
    IMG_9555.JPG
    936 KB · Views: 96
I used a KBC 27D 2 hp VFD on both my 2x72 belt grinder and my Bridgeport mill. I bought VFDs for each of them, but it would probably be possible to use one VFD with a switching mechanism. Both motors would need to have similar wiring requirements and be the same hp.
I have the same VFD (and I like it!) and did the exact same thing. I have a, cord, plug, and a two-bolt mount to swap the VFD between machines but even so, I'm seriously considering buying a second VFD just because I find myself doing a quick job on the mill and the decision is swap the VFD or the belt on the step pulley of the mill and the VFD rarely gets moved. If I have more extensive mill work, different story. If it's not sitting on the belt grinder, though I have a 3ph receptacle nearby, I do frequently use speed control on the grinder for control and use on different materials.

I also have a smaller version of the KB VFD, but it's dedicated to my lathe. I like the simplicity of that model of KB VFD.

Best,
Kelly

The KBC units are nice because they are sealed; no vent holes for chips to sneak in... Teco also has some outdoor rated drives with similar abilities.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back