Unusual Cincinnati Milling Arbor

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is just a gee whiz kind of question, but has anybody seen this style of arbor before? This came in a lot of cutters from a local auction and the owner had long ago sold the mill. It's NMTB 50 1-1/4" diameter and came with a full set of spacers and a 2-1/8" running bushing....it's about 17" from the flange to the thread for the end nut, so a nice size that I think will be handy. I've looked and looked and haven't been able to find a picture of anything similar with the long cone section...it's all made from one piece so it's pretty heavy and they used a lot of extra steel to make it. It's clearly marked Cincinnati, but I can't find a part number anywhere. The nut is marked Poland, so I'm guessing it's not original....but works just fine.

It would seem like it might be more likely to stay straight being so massive, but is there any reason anybody can think of to make one this way?

IMG_3189.JPG

Last edited:
not unusual, but Cincinnati would not have made it with the long tapered portion at the right hand end, at least all the ones that I have seen, but it would improve rigidity compared to one with the cutter diameter all the same to the face of the 50 taper flange.

That is an arbor. The draw bar threads into the end on the table. The long taper was to add RIGIDITY. You would stack up your cutters and spacers, slide on the overarm and tighten the nut. This method of milling can be great under some circumstances.
These "BARS" are becoming more difficult to find.

not unusual, but Cincinnati would not have made it with the long tapered portion at the right hand end, at least all the ones that I have seen, but it would improve rigidity compared to one with the cutter diameter all the same to the face of the 50 taper flange.
I'm not saying this in a mean way (honestly), but I don't understand almost anything in your post aside from the rigidity comment. First off, I don't know what the "right hand end" of an arbor would be....how do they have a left and right? Second, you say it's not unusual, but then say Cincinnati wouldn't have made it with the long tapered portion. Cincinnati DID make it with the long tapered portion. Doesn't that make it unusual?

I've spent maybe an hour doing Google searches looking for a picture of an arbor with a similar shape and haven't found one...hence the question. I've already used it on my K&T mill, so I know it works just fine.

Last edited:
That is an arbor. The draw bar threads into the end on the table. The long taper was to add RIGIDITY. You would stack up your cutters and spacers, slide on the overarm and tighten the nut. This method of milling can be great under some circumstances.
These "BARS" are becoming more difficult to find.
Yes, that's why I called it an arbor in the headline and why I said the long taper would be more likely to stay straight. :)

I've already used this on my K&T 2H and it works fine. Like I mentioned in the post, I've looked and been unable to find another example (pictures or reference) of a similar arbor with the long tapered section. I think I've looked at every arbor picture Google can find and so far they're all straight and not tapered....just seemed like this is an unusual example. If there's a name for the style it would be interesting to know.

Back