Unknown Quick Change Tool Post

dave d

Registered
Registered
IMG_3893.JPG IMG_3892.JPG I came into a a 10" Logan lathe with a quick change tool post. I would like to order another tool holder, but I don't know what I have. The main body is marked 250-100 and is marked simply China. It is about 2 1/4 inches square, not counting the dovetail.
The knurl holder is marked 250-110, the cutoff tool is marked 250-107 and the toll holder is marked 250-101.

I have been looking at Ebay and other sellers and I think this is the BXA version. If so, are they pretty much all compatible between sellers? I don't know enough about these to even tell if it is a wedge type or piston type or if it even matters! This is a lot larger than the Sherline I am used to.

Does the 250 refer to the size?
Thanks!
Dave D

IMG_3891.JPG

Mine is marked 250-201, 250-204, etc and it is the BXA size. It is 2 5/8'' wide and 2 3/4'' high.
Yours looks like an AXA piston style QCTP.

Wedge-piston (general info): Look at the dovetail area. Piston type tool holders have a round-cornered rectangular piston between the dovetails, which moves in and out as the locking handle is turned. Wedge type will move one of the dovetails up and down on a shallow ramp.

Looking closely at the photos, I'd agree with Tozguy that yours is a piston type. If it were a wedge, we'd be able to see the end of it in the second photo.

More general info - I'm not sure what the 250- prefix means - maybe just QCTP? The size/series is indicated by the first digit after the dash. -1xx indicated AXA, -2xx indicates BXA, etc. The final two digits indicate what the holder is meant for. -x01 has a plain rectangular slot; -x02 has a rectangular slot with a small groove on the bottom, so it can be used with boring bars, etc.; -x04 is a holder for larger boring bars; -x07 is for cutoff/parting blades; -x10 is a knurling tool.

All AXA/250-1xx tool holders will work with either style. I've gone to several vendors (Shars, Enco, CDCO) for AXA size over more than 10 years, and have only had one tool holder that was problematical - gap too narrow, so it wouldn't go over the dovetails of my piston-type holder. It would probably have been OK with a wedge type.

PS - nice looking lathe!

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! I know what to order now. I was reading up on these and it seems like most people prefer the wedge type. This came on the lathe and that is what I will use for now. I need to get a feel for this thing first. It is a giant compared to the Sherline., but I am looking forward to doing bigger projects.
Dave

Thanks, guys! I know what to order now. I was reading up on these and it seems like most people prefer the wedge type. This came on the lathe and that is what I will use for now. I need to get a feel for this thing first. It is a giant compared to the Sherline., but I am looking forward to doing bigger projects.
Dave
The piston style works just fine. The tool holders will (usually) work on both wedge and piston types.

Those part numbers are the same as the AXA piston type holder from Phase II.

Back