Unknown lathe chuck

Leggman

Registered
Registered
When I bought my last lathe (clausing 12 x 24) It came with a chuck but the chuck has no jaws?
It is a six inch three jaw scroll chuck and the only numbers I can find on it are
NA31
Made in Eng.
I know that's not much to go on but I would really like to find a set of jaws for this chuck.
Thanks. Dave

Pratt Burnerd(sp) is probably the brand name of the chuck since it says "Made in England" and old at that too.

The chances of finding a new set of jaws is like finding a needle in a haystack. Post some pictures of the chuck to give us a clue of where to start. Doe it have master jaws? Probably not. Last thing, measure the slot the jaws ride in, need all of the measurements width, height, thickness, and so on. Also the number of threads per inch on the scroll and the width and depth of the square thread on the scroll. While you are waiting for more responses from us, scan eBay for jaws. Some people will provide measurements on jaws listed, most do not, and wonder why they don't sell month after month on listing them. Try Pratt Burnerd in the UK, if they are still in business, and see if they can provide you with jaw set. Again, they may need the dimensional information from your chuck to get you the right ones.
Ken

All that Ken said, but dont hold your breath. you will probably find it faster, cheaper and easier to just buy a new chuck with interchangeable jaws than a find a set of replacement jaws.

Cheers Phil

Prattle Burners (if it is) are reputable and jaws are still available - sit down when you read the price though, acute sticker shock!

Dave H. (the other one)

I finally just caved and bought a 8 inch four jaw independent chuck. The thing is a beast, it weighs almost 40 pounds and so far is working great.
I took the L00 backing plate off the six inch chuck and machined it to fit the new chuck.
Next is a bxa toolpost.

Back