Unknown Bridgeport

I'd buy it if it was an hour from my house. It looks like a 30" table with little wear I wonder why he made the bracket, but I have seen how some of those old ones cracked when they were tightened to much. After seeing some of these imported Asian machines lately and taking that into account it is worth it as far as I can see. The 1/2" capacity M head is not real handy, but if you have a 1/2" capacity Chinese Mini Mill you paid $800.00 and it has a 5" x10" travel and is off .010", spending $800.00 for that machine which is probably withing .001" is a bargain. If you look in the storage cabinet you can see he has some bigger dia end mills. You never know but the older casting that would make it original might be laying on the floor. It says it's 115 V single phase, the top of the table looks good, a little elbow grease and naval jelly should take care of the rust.
Here is a $449.00 mill for you to compare to. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...resses&mkwid=ssFrGl4TR&pcrid=26187844871&mt=b

Those are very old machines. They have very limited capacity in their heads. 1/2" end mill is about it.

I do have 1. It is a special high speed unit with a flat,rubber belt drive,that will go 12,000 RPM. I want to use it only for very small cutters. I can't decide wether to mount it,or my Bridgeport slotting attachment on the other end of my ram. The slitter was used to mortise all the throats of wooden planes we had to make in Williamsburg as toolmakers(Me and Jon,my journeyman). Sorry for the sideways picture!!

Scan 2.jpeg

Thank you,Bill. I don't know how to rotate a picture. That's me on the right. Jon,my journeyman (museum talk) is the other guy. The blacksmith's shop made the authentic,laminated blades(a strip of high carbon steel about 2" long was welded to a wrought iron body in the old days. Tool sat eel was too expensive back then to make the whole blade from it. Even chisels had a high carbon bit welded to the iron body.

That bench is 16' long,and we laid sheets of plywood over it. This is 1 batch of planes. A full set of planes was 5 pieces for a craftsman.

The slotting attachment sort of takes precedent oiler the high speed M head. I could mount the M head on my Harrison horizontal/ universal mill(the table swivels).

If I make any more planes,it would be great to have. I left the chisels we made for it at work,unfortunately,but they were made at work. Not that much trouble to make more.

That's my Roll In saw in blue. Now at home with me in my shop. I bought a new Wilton Chinese copy for the shop. It wasn't as heavy as the roll in,but was o.k.. It did have a few nicer features,like a built in chip tray. The saw would jump if you did too heavy a cut. It needed to be heavier like the Roll In. I couldn't afford a real Roll In on a museum budget. Got this one used. I think it was only ever used to cut plastic in its past life. Only plastic chips were found in the nooks and crannies.

Back