Universal Mandrel??

How do you get a very thin material part separated from the substrate holder, without bending it etc., when you use superglue?

I find myself turning a lot of relatively thin and flat disks (like washers and such) lately. I have been wondering if anyone knows of a (semi-)universal mandrel that will hold a variety of parts with different centers and thicknesses. Any thoughts? I hoping for something I can make for myself.
These work for me. I modify as needed. I then clean the O.D. flat to get a better bite in a collet if needed or to hold in the chuck to open the I.D.C23610AC-C974-4179-8990-E9E563BEC489.jpeg1FE48B62-EF22-4473-861A-73198370AB4D.jpeg754C0EE5-7E88-47EE-A236-C73D3EEDA239.jpeg

Last edited:
Sacrificial holders can be another approach, depending on what your specific requirement(s) are.

How do you get a very thin material part separated from the substrate holder, without bending it etc., when you use superglue?
Heat.

Spin it slow while holding a torch to it and it will pop right off. Acetone should clean it up nicely.

@Jim F
Thanks for the video links. Did I miss it? What was the clutching material used? I assume it needed to be somewhat compressible.

@Jim F
Thanks for the video links. Did I miss it? What was the clutching material used? I assume it needed to be somewhat compressible.
card stock, un-coated.

Last edited:
Back